• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cameron marical

cameron marical

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 6 May 2009 - 01:29 AM

I am wondering wether or not i have allergies, a sinus infection, or something else.

My symptoms include:
-nasal congestion
-pressure in the upper sinuses above my eyes
-darker mucus lined with a tiny amount of blood thats visible sometimes
-a productive for the most part cough

My symptoms change on me too, right now, im barely feeling anything, and ive been conciously trying to clear my sinuses for a couple days now. At the begining, it was postnasal discharge in the mix, and alot of mucus just coming out and i couldnt stop it, then, later on, just a while ago, the mucus i coughed up was chunky alot of times. gross.

My questions, {other than what do i have}, are does sinus infections make you have a cough? also, can sinus infection be deadly if left untreated? Also, i have been this way for about a month id say now, and my symptoms are gradually decreasing in extremety, though im still a little woried.

I was kind of hoping to hear from a doctor who happens to go on this forum, thatd be cool, but any info would be great. And i know someone is going to say that i should go see my doctor, but, well, i cant. im kind of a little low on money.

thanks anyone for the help.:-)

#2 Moontanman

Moontanman

Genius

• Senior Members
  • 8,194 posts
  • LocationSouth Eastern North Carolina

Posted 6 May 2009 - 01:51 AM

Is your mucus green or yellow tinged? This is sure sign of bacterial infection. Nasal drip can indeed cause a cough and a sinus infection can cause serious problems up to and including death if left untreated in extreme cases. If you are having problems seeing a doc may I suggest what I do when I have a sinus problem. I use a salt water vinegar solution to irrigate my sinuses. Take a pint of warm water add a teaspoon of vinegar and two teaspoons of salt, use something to squirt it up your nose, i use a baby aspirator, it will burn like hell but it will help clear up your sinuses after several days of doing it twice a day. use lots of it each time, fill your sinuses up with it, it does work.

#3 cameron marical

cameron marical

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 6 May 2009 - 07:09 PM

Does it kill the bacteria?

I will try it, thanks.

Will clearing my sinuses take care of any bacteria in there?

thanks.

My mucus is pretty much yellow tinged now, but it was green when i was coughing up chuncks, when it seemed to be at its peak.

also, can plack balls be associated with this? I cough up those smelly little things sometimes. its disgusting.

#4 GDG

GDG

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 6 May 2009 - 11:17 PM

As long as it isn't mucormycosis (:eek:), you will probably be fine. :D
============================
Grant D. Green
www.contrabass.com

#5 Tsuyoiko

Tsuyoiko

Quark

• Senior Members
  • 35 posts
  • LocationIn my cerebral cortex

Posted 7 May 2009 - 12:14 PM

I suffer from sinus problems occasionally. I take a herbal remedy called plantago to relieve the congestion and paracetamol to kill the headache. I get plantago from the health food shop as a tincture, which you take in water. It tastes foul but after a couple of doses it starts to clear. Inhaling eucalyptus oil works quite well too. I also find it helps to lie down in a darkened room with a cold flannel on my head.

I know how crappy you must feel, so I hope you feel better soon :-)
"Equations are more important to me, because politics is for the present, but an equation is something for eternity." - Albert Einstein

#6 iNow

iNow

SuperNerd

• Senior Members
  • 14,609 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 2 July 2009 - 02:02 PM

That doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Do you have a reference? One would think that dropping honey in your nostril would further clog it, especially due to it's sticky and viscous properties.

#7 insane_alien

insane_alien

Genius

• Senior Members
  • 10,094 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 2 July 2009 - 02:16 PM

from personal experience, 99.99% of the time sticking something up your nose doesn't help.

the only known exception is nasal sprays.
Tired of waiting around for a reply on the forums? Use IRC, 'I don't know how' is no longer an excuse.

"Special" Relativity, stupid ideas seem smarter when they come at you really fast.

#8 iNow

iNow

SuperNerd

• Senior Members
  • 14,609 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 2 July 2009 - 02:20 PM

Or, maybe a neti pot.
http://www.webmd.com...ure-9/neti-pots

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users