Sign in to follow this  
Mr Skeptic

I drank some grape sap

Recommended Posts

Mr Skeptic    1154

Earlier today, my grandma asked me to cut down a grape vine. When I did, I noticed a largeish quantity of sap flowing out. I tasted a drop, and it tasted like water but with a very subtle flavor. Intrigued, I put a glass under it and gathered about a glassful, and drank it. It seemed more refreshing than plain water, with a subtle but interesting taste.

 

So now I'm curious about the composition of grape sap. I'm fairly sure its not poisonous as both grapes and grape leaves are edible, plus I'm not dead. But what sort of things does it have? As for season, the vine did not yet grow its leaves but I suppose would have fairly soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mokele    443

It's pretty much just water and sugar, with some associated minerals, nutrients, hormones, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vampares    10

Wood typically contains potassium and magnesium. Sugars are likely xylose perhaps some acids or something. If you gather a glassful it was probably mostly water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this