About Dos

albertlee

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is still very important to learn as part of understanding computer.............

Albert

How so ? Dos doesn't even exist in the latest versions of Windows. Unless you are trying to understand a 486 you really don't need to know alot about dos.

Well, if there is no Dos, there is no Windows......Dos is the shell of Windows, learning Dos will understand more on how Windows operate on the hardware.......

just like macintosh includes Unix.......

Again, Any body knows the resources about learning Dos?

apreciate

Albert

Well' date=' if there is no Dos, there is no Windows......Dos is the shell of Windows, learning Dos will understand more on how Windows operate on the hardware.......

just like macintosh includes Unix.......[/quote']

Yes, Macintosh is based off of the bsd kernel and hence looking into some bsd stuff would tell you a lot about what happens in the hardware - mainly because it's all open source. However, DOS was replaced in windows 2000 by the command prompt which won't help you understand how windows uses the hardware. If you really want to learn about hardware and things like that, why not look into assembly language?

Holy crap Im talking about a normal person who just wants to know...who would look through all the textbooks and stuff....its much easier to use DOS then learn assembly language, thats what the threads about remember.Does everyone think Im stupid.Lol :P

I cant joke about anything around here.You people are far too serious.

(that was a joke too)

This is a thread asking for help. We don't joke around in those in a way that could be misleading to someone who is trying to learn.

If you aren't going to contribute to answering albertlee's questions, don't post in this thread.

This is a thread asking for help. We don't joke around in those in a way that could be misleading to someone who is trying to learn.

If you aren't going to contribute to answering albertlee's questions' date=' don't post in this thread.[/quote']

I already did Sayonara, look at the third post down.Then look at the ninth.The next post by me was a joke to make things here more enjoyable, I suppose you dont like jokes Sayonara.

Holy crap Im talking about a normal person who just wants to know...who would look through all the textbooks and stuff....its much easier to use DOS then learn assembly language, thats what the threads about remember.Does everyone think Im stupid.Lol :P

Assembly language is itself pretty easy, it's just shifting things around in registers and things like that. For someone that's interested in the way computers work, I think it's an ideal way to learn a bit more about it.

I already did Sayonara, look at the third post down.Then look at the ninth.The next post by me was a joke to make things here more enjoyable, I suppose you dont like jokes Sayonara.

Whether your first post will be helpful remains to be seen. Your second post doesn't help him one bit.

I'm not saying that you didn't contribute, just that non-contributions aren't a good plan in this type of thread. I could have phrased it better, admittedly.

Sure, learning how DOS works is easier, you just have to type some commands in and bingo you're done. However, it still doesn't solve the problem that you don't know what these commands are doing on a fundamental level (i.e. how they affect the hardware). It's just another abstraction layer between you and the hardware, like windows and any other OS. Assembly language is just about the closest way to interact with the hardware (barr learning machine code, which is admittedly very dull and basically the same thing).

Any way.......

I am still asking does anyone know the resources like ebooks, website or anything on the Internet related to Dos? :embarass::confused:

Secondly, I know assembly language is same thing, but......

What I want to is more about the usage than knowledge....

like to do something on hardware that windows cant, using Dos

would be much easier than assembly language.....I guess........

Any body? :)

Apreciate

Albert

Yeah but isnt learning DOS easier that assembly language?

Thats hardly realavent given that learnign DOS wont get you anywhere, Windows 2000 and XP do not have DOS at all, therefore unless you are workingwith 9x systems DOS is useless.

To Aegar, I think although Windows Xp do not have Dos, it still has Command.com..........also autoexec.bat............which means Dos is the shell of Windows.....knowing Dos is helpful to understand the windows kernel.......

Secondly, again......does anyone know the resources like ebooks, website or anything on the Internet related to Dos? :-(:-(:-(

Apreciate

Albert