What is the most dense material that can exist on Earth?

Lan(r)12

Ive read that even a little thimble-full of matter from objects like nuetron stars weigh an ungodly amount on Earth. My question is, can this matter even exist on Earth? Is there a limit to how dense an object can be on this Earth?

Thanks for any info ;)

Ive read that even a little thimble-full of matter from objects like nuetron stars weigh an ungodly amount on Earth. My question is, can this matter even exist on Earth? Is there a limit to how dense an object can be on this Earth?

Thanks for any info ;)

short answer: we don't have a clue.

medium answer: we don't have a clue, but its not likely.

long answer: we aren't entirely sure why it is stable on an neutron star never mind earth. the matierial is pretty much entirely neutrons as the gravitational pressures have caused the electrons to react with the protons.

now, from out experiences in nuclear technology, we know that neutrons aren't stable outside of atoms, the undergo radioacitive decay fairly quickly.

so, this leads us to to a few possible scenarios for making neutronium(the name for neutron star stuff) on earth.

1/ it is stable, but so dense it sinks through the earth like a brick through air and ends up at the core of the planet.

2/ its unstable, would be the most radioactive substance ever to arrive on earth. everything for miles around would likely die within a very short time and secondary radioactivity would also be severe.

all the evidence points to 2 so far as we don't see small neutrons stars or anything.

Thanks for any info ;)

So, what I just read on your question......the answers all seem to be no .....

But not one answered if there is a limit to how dense and object can be on earth? Why would it have to be radio active or like nuetron star? or dangerous?

:doh: maybe Im not paying attention to the question or answers

Since Neutronium can't exist on earth, the densest matter would then be the densest normal matter. This would be Osmium http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmium

If an atom smasher were able to generate some kind of strange matter, perhaps that would be denser. Of course, this strange matter would have to be stable enough for scientists to determine its density.

The neutron star material has to have a gravitational attraction sufficient to overcome the degeneracy pressure of the electrons, and force them into the nucleus to combine with the protons and form the neutrons. This keeps the neutrons from decaying, as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_degeneracy_pressure

The limit where this occurs sets the density of normal matter, and yields a value (according to the white dwarf Wikipedia page) of about a metric ton per cm^3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandrasekhar_Limit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_dwarf#Composition_and_structure

But all of these conditions are due to intense gravity, and not the chemical properties of the material

im currently boycotting all search engines lol

why exert unnecessary energy when you all can just tell me?

;)

That's the single most annoying thing I've heard in a while. A forum is generally where to ask stuff that you can't figure out elsewhere or need better insight that the internet fails to provide. You're wasting everyone's time.

Also, you could have typed in everything you need to get to that wikipedia article in less words than it took to make that post.

That's the single most annoying thing I've heard in a while. A forum is generally where to ask stuff that you can't figure out elsewhere or need better insight that the internet fails to provide. You're wasting everyone's time.

Also, you could have typed in everything you need to get to that wikipedia article in less words than it took to make that post.

lol

wow

Ive read it...I didnt think anyone would take that seriously....but there are things called OPINIONS that people have...even on established scientific fact.

Thats what I was searching for.

Run along now, theres a good boy.

so apparently lead is the most dense material on earth. So that means no lasers or infra red can go throught this material. I remember watching on TV the Russan ship that was at the bottom of a sea.......all died in this accident. But I thought they were able to see through the Lead ship?

hmmmm, cant build a house with lead! Im talking security and privacy here.:cool:

so apparently lead is the most dense material on earth. So that means no lasers or infra red can go throught this material. I remember watching on TV the Russan ship that was at the bottom of a sea.......all died in this accident. But I thought they were able to see through the Lead ship?

hmmmm, cant build a house with lead! Im talking security and privacy here.:cool:

lead isn't the densest, iridium and osmium are(its debatable which is denser as they are so close. and it is ever so slightly variable).

lasers and infrared can't go through a block of steel or aluminum either so i don't know why you are suggesting its a property of density.

i also don't recall any ships being made of lead, even russian ones.

Lasers can't go through anything you can't see through (like a piece of black paper), because it's visible light. Various materials are opaque to various frequencies.

You wouldn't make a ship out of lead because it's so weak and heavy, but I'm assuming a nuclear sub would have a fair amount of lead on board surrounding the reactor.

Lasers can't go through anything you can't see through (like a piece of black paper), because it's visible light. Various materials are opaque to various frequencies.

You wouldn't make a ship out of lead because it's so weak and heavy, but I'm assuming a nuclear sub would have a fair amount of lead on board surrounding the reactor.

Yep, and even more around one on an aircraft carrier (bigger reactors) but afaik that is the only place any ship has large lead components.