Server Move

Dave

This must be the first time in a while I've posted any kind of announcement, but at least I have good news! Well, there's a bit of bad news as well, but it pales in comparison to the good.

The bad news is: SFN will be down anywhere between a couple hours and a day. The good news: we're going to be moving to a much faster dedicated server. Hopefully, this will make browsing the site an order of magnitude faster and will be provide us with a bit more breathing room in terms of resources.

Now, we have no certain date that this will happen yet as I'm still to get the server shipped down to the data centre. However, I do anticipate that it will arrive on Thursday. The downtime should probably be either on Sunday or Monday. I will post more details as they come in, so stay tuned!

The server itself is a Dell PowerEdge R200 with dual core xeons and 2gb of RAM. We're colocating it in a data centre in Maidenhead just outside of London.

Really that kind of capacity is overkill for SFN but we wanted room for expansion and also the server was on special offer at Dell :)

Well the changeover might be quite a bit before I anticipated. The server has been delivered and is now fully up and running. I'm getting initial software installed, and right now I'm planning on taking the forums down at some point tomorrow. I might do it early UK time since that's quite a quiet period.