Taser.

Gareth56

the human body makes quite the resistor.

it can also be achieved by rapidly discharging a very small capacitance capacitor which will only store a set amount of energy. this can be repeatedly charged and discharged to disrupt your nervous system.

i think this is what happens as it feel like getting kicked in the place it hits really fast by 1000 midgets on speed.

We write it a bit different:

[math]U=IR[/math] .. and by the way Ohms law is [math]R=\frac{U}{I}[/math] and from that you derive what you have written!

SSDD

I recall many years ago seeing a trick cigarette lighter which when you pressed the ignite button you got a shock and that only used a 1.5V battery; so how could that deliver a high voltage then?

That prank has no where near the 'kick' of a taser.

via a step-up transformer.

But this joke thing was only about 1.5" long buy say 0.5" thick. The transformers I've seen are dirty great big hulks of metal and plastic that need to be plugged into the mains.

Also I thought that transformers worked only with alternating current. Even though direct current will create a magnetic field in the core [of the transformer]

it will however not be a changing magnetic field and so no voltage will be induced in the secondary coil.

LOL, there are transformers the size of a Match head out there, the 5Kv Trigger coil in a camera flash unit isn`t much bigger than a pencil eraser.

as for AC (or pulsed DC) what`s the problem?

a simple astable, or Hartley oscillator will do that :)

LOL, there are transformers the size of a Match head out there, the 5Kv Trigger coil in a camera flash unit isn`t much bigger than a pencil eraser.

as for AC (or pulsed DC) what`s the problem?

a simple astable, or Hartley oscillator will do that :)

So how do these transformers get over the problem of DC not producing alternating magnetic fields?

what part of my post that you quoted don`t you understand exactly?

You just mentioned various transformers without explaining how they worked . My question was "So how do these transformers get over the problem of DC not producing alternating magnetic fields?"

How can I receive a 50kV electric shock (say via a taser) and not get killed?

There is an old saying " Volts for Jolts, mils for kills" meaning high voltage shocks but just a few miliamps can kill.

There's no shame in not knowing how something works but thanks for trying :)

WTF???

have you even TRIED to understand the answer that I gave you?

do you even KNOW what an Oscillator is?

there simply IS NO other answer! *Sheesh*

Hartley Oscillator: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartley_oscillator

Astable: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multivibrator

I think you Owe me an apology !

WTF???

have you even TRIED to understand the answer that I gave you?

do you even KNOW what an Oscillator is?

there simply IS NO other answer! *Sheesh*

Hartley Oscillator: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartley_oscillator

Astable: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multivibrator

I think you Owe me an apology !

Hartley Oscillator: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartley_oscillator <-------- content means nothing to me I'm not an electrical engineer or an electronics engineer.

Astable: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multivibrator<-------- content means nothing to me I'm not an electrical engineer or an electronics engineer.

The response from insane_alien was what I was looking for not vague references to bits of kit followed by web references that are written for people who have a fairly good understanding of the subject of electronics. My question was was "how do these transformers get over the problem of DC not producing alternating magnetic fields?". Just giving references like those above wouldn't earn you many marks in an exam. However as I said thank you for trying.

Just giving references like those above wouldn't earn you many marks in an exam. However as I said thank you for trying.
You implied YT didn't know what he's talking about. Although he may not have explained it to your satisfaction, telling him, "There's no shame in not knowing how something works but thanks for trying" was rude and condescending. *You* are the one who doesn't know how it works, not YT2095.

I would have thought the word "Oscillator" would have been a dead give-away, taken from the word "Oscillate" meaning that it Changes (unlike DC which remains constant).

effectively you employ this Oscillator (and tasers use Hartley and sometimes astables) to effect this "Change" in current and then apply this to the primary winding of a Step-up transformer, this energises the magnetic field, and when the current stops or goes in the other direction the mag field Collapses as the current passes though the Zero PD point, and in doing so creates a Secondary current often called Back EMF (you might want to google "Back EMF"), the Secondary coil picks up this field collapse and presents it at a much higher voltage (it has more coil windings than the Primary).

you see this (or feel it) as a shock or spark.