300 mpg car coming to the next parking space soon

Realitycheck

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4237853.html?series=19

The question I ask is what kinds of new dangers do we expect with these ultra-small, ultra-light cars that are coming out now? The side-door impact support on this car more than meets the required standards, however, the size of the car does not absorb the impact like today's car would and inevitably it will get tossed across the street or into other lanes of traffic more easily and the people inside will be subjected to more jarring than would be normal. I'm not downing efficiency, but this looks fairly dangerous until everybody is driving these.

It seems to light to me! I mean, if it runs over something even quiet small, I think it will lose balance, and it's also quiet hard to maintain balance in three wheels. Then it also seems dangerous if you suffer accidents, you'll probably get "tossed", like agenchange said, because there seems to be no place in front of you, not enough room.

Then what happens if there's a storm going on, and there are strong winds, I really think that it's light. And if the road is slippy, the back wheel will cause problems to keep the balance.

The wheels seem not to be connected so strong with the body of the car. I mean look at this man:

aptera1.jpg

If it hits a corner the wheel will probably "cut off" and then the cost of attaching it again I guess will not be that low!

I don't really know! The ones who designed that are probably experts and they must know better than me, but it seems dangerous to me.

I wouldn't get one!

Oh, and yeah, it's also ugly!

The criticisms concerning safety are amusing. Most could be applied to bicycles also. If the jobsworth health and safety bureaucracy had been around a hundred years ago, bicycles would have been banned. I can think of a lot of other 'at-risk' modes of transport too, perhaps all of them. Get real, everybody.

At least these cars will be able to be seen. The shock value on the street should be enough to avoid many accidents. Of course, bicycles don't go 90 mph. It will be amusing to see somebody scrape one of these off the windshield of the local soccer mom's Yukon who was busy with her cellphone.

That is way wrong !

Since when an electric vehicle is rated that way as mpg ?

¿ 300 miles per gallon of ... volts ? The reporter even mentions "...when I step on the gas" :rolleyes: Yes, sure, gas...

Even a hybrid would have to de-rate the figures for the strict time it runs on gasoline.

Miguel