Differential equations in computer science

Kartoffl

I haven't searched thoroughly, so I apologize if I missed an existing thread...

Can anyone give me an example of a differential equation used in computer science with a brief explanation? I'm working on a project that needs a specific example, but I don't know any yet, and a Google search failed to yield anything I could understand (I'm working with somewhat patchy first-year knowledge).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Not sure if I really understand what you say/want. Are you looking for an example where diff.eqs. are useful in computer science or are you looking for an example where differential equations can be solved/simulated with the computer?

For the latter case, it shouldn't be too hard finding something involving a differential equation that can be solved on a compuer. Simplemost case probably is movement in a jump&run game where, as soon as you're in the air and not on the floor, the movement would -in first approximation- follow [math]\frac{ d^2 P }{dt^2} = \vec g [/math] with P being position and g being the gravitational field. The computer implementation is pretty simple: Each frame you alter the position according to the current velocity (P += v*dt) and the velocity by the gravitational field (v += g*dt).

• 2 years later...
Can anyone give me an example of a differential equation used in computer science with a brief explanation? I'm working on a project that needs a specific example, but I don't know any yet, and a Google search failed to yield anything I could understand (I'm working with somewhat patchy first-year knowledge).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Calculus and differential equations are used extensively in signal processing and perceptual media which are heavily based on Fourier transforms.

When modeling physical movement (lagrangians and hamiltonians are equations of motion, and are also differential equations) you use diff equations quite a lot. From movement of planets around stars to movement of various objects in various conditions.

Actually, I'm going to soon open a "help me!" thread about those, soon, probably, to figure out how to solve and model these in Mathematica.

When modeling physical movement (lagrangians and hamiltonians are equations of motion, and are also differential equations) you use diff equations quite a lot. From movement of planets around stars to movement of various objects in various conditions.

Actually, I'm going to soon open a "help me!" thread about those, soon, probably, to figure out how to solve and model these in Mathematica.

Yes the climate models I worked with certainly used calculus up the wazoo, as I expect any physical modeling program would