• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kartoffl

Kartoffl

Lepton

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 7 August 2007 - 05:08 AM

I haven't searched thoroughly, so I apologize if I missed an existing thread...
Can anyone give me an example of a differential equation used in computer science with a brief explanation? I'm working on a project that needs a specific example, but I don't know any yet, and a Google search failed to yield anything I could understand (I'm working with somewhat patchy first-year knowledge).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

#2 timo

timo

Scientist

• Senior Members
  • 3,207 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 7 August 2007 - 05:26 AM

Not sure if I really understand what you say/want. Are you looking for an example where diff.eqs. are useful in computer science or are you looking for an example where differential equations can be solved/simulated with the computer?
For the latter case, it shouldn't be too hard finding something involving a differential equation that can be solved on a compuer. Simplemost case probably is movement in a jump&run game where, as soon as you're in the air and not on the floor, the movement would -in first approximation- follow \frac{ d^2 P }{dt^2} = \vec g with P being position and g being the gravitational field. The computer implementation is pretty simple: Each frame you alter the position according to the current velocity (P += v*dt) and the velocity by the gravitational field (v += g*dt).

#3 karl.chase

karl.chase

Lepton

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationValenzuela, Philippines

Posted 8 January 2010 - 09:49 AM

I'm also looking on how can I find a way to apply Differential equation to Computer Science field...
Any knowledge about this one? please anyone..?

#4 bascule

bascule

Genius

• Validating
  • 8,433 posts
  • LocationThe center of the universe (from my frame of reference)

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:40 AM

Can anyone give me an example of a differential equation used in computer science with a brief explanation? I'm working on a project that needs a specific example, but I don't know any yet, and a Google search failed to yield anything I could understand (I'm working with somewhat patchy first-year knowledge).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Calculus and differential equations are used extensively in signal processing and perceptual media which are heavily based on Fourier transforms.
Radicalism: The conservatism of tomorrow injected into the affairs of today.
-- Ambrose Bierce

#5 mooeypoo

mooeypoo

Oh look, Pwnies!

• Moderators
  • 5,700 posts
  • LocationNoo Yoak

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:22 AM

When modeling physical movement (lagrangians and hamiltonians are equations of motion, and are also differential equations) you use diff equations quite a lot. From movement of planets around stars to movement of various objects in various conditions.

Actually, I'm going to soon open a "help me!" thread about those, soon, probably, to figure out how to solve and model these in Mathematica.

If I was helpful, let me know by clicking the [up arrow] sign ^^

No trees were harmed in the creation of this post.
But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced during its transmission.

Adventures in Algorithms http://moriel.smarterthanthat.com

Advocating Science http://smarterthanthat.com

#6 bascule

bascule

Genius

• Validating
  • 8,433 posts
  • LocationThe center of the universe (from my frame of reference)

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:23 AM

When modeling physical movement (lagrangians and hamiltonians are equations of motion, and are also differential equations) you use diff equations quite a lot. From movement of planets around stars to movement of various objects in various conditions.

Actually, I'm going to soon open a "help me!" thread about those, soon, probably, to figure out how to solve and model these in Mathematica.

Yes the climate models I worked with certainly used calculus up the wazoo, as I expect any physical modeling program would
Radicalism: The conservatism of tomorrow injected into the affairs of today.
-- Ambrose Bierce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users