StemEnhance Question.

A Fool

My Girlfriend's Parents recently asked me to take a look at stemenhance products and get my opinion on it.

http://www.enhancestemcellsnaturally.com/

I was just curious as to how effective stem cells from bone marrow would be in maintaining the body and repairing tissue such as the brain and liver. I was under the impression that there was different generations of stem cells in the body and that the type coming out of bone marrow was primarily for blood related cells, therefore the primary enhancement would be help for people with low immunity, because wouldn't the body reject an overabundance of cells in the blood to keep homeostasis?

hmm. I don't know a whole lot about stem cells, but after looking at that website, I would advise your girlfriend's parents against it. Just dumping a load of stem cells into your body doesn't mean suddenly you'll be healthier. It takes proper regulation/stimulation/etc for a stem cell to differentiate into a specific type of cell, and I don't think having them simply circulate in your bloodstream means they will somehow know where they're needed and differentiate accordingly.

you need to look at all the information first--there is a 45 min video on this product available from the company--the company is open with its policy & procedure manual and patent, plus their compensation plan. The main ingredient in AFA which has been used for decades by the neuroscientist.

My Girlfriend's Parents recently asked me to take a look at stemenhance products and get my opinion on it.

http://www.enhancestemcellsnaturally.com/

I was just curious as to how effective stem cells from bone marrow would be in maintaining the body and repairing tissue such as the brain and liver. I was under the impression that there was different generations of stem cells in the body and that the type coming out of bone marrow was primarily for blood related cells, therefore the primary enhancement would be help for people with low immunity, because wouldn't the body reject an overabundance of cells in the blood to keep homeostasis?

There are many different adult stem cells. Bone marrow contains several different populations of adult stem cells:

1. Hematopoietic stem cells: make new blood cells.

2. Mesenchymal stem cells: in the stroma (fibrous tissue) and can make mesenchymal phenotypes.

3. Multipotent adult progenitor cells (MAPCs): in the stroma and can differentiate into tissues from all 3 dermal layers -- such as nerve cells and liver cells.

4. Osteo-chrondral progenitor cells: in the stroma and can differentiate to cartilage or bone.

I've never heard of an oral pill that would enhance stem cell growth or release of stem cells into the circulation. If you want to increase the number of stem cells, you harvest the bone marrow, isolate the stem cells, and expand them in culture. In short, Stemenhance is a scam!

Whenever anyone says "stem cells", the first question out of your mouth should be "Which stem cells?"

• 1 year later...

The fact that you never heard of a pill does not rule it out.If you were actually to go to their website, and study the detailed information , and very long , and essentially transparent and open handling of the studies, you might get a different impresion.It is a natual food, used for over twenty years for its health benefits.They have extracted the essential ingredients and concentrated into a pill form.It just enhances the body's natural tendency to produce stem cells.The most primitive kinds of stem cells as produced by the marrow, have been found as 'becoming' healthy tissue.An overabundance just gets recycled out of the system, but if there is bad tissue,it can help

Neither StemTech Health Sciences Inc. nor its distributors make or infer any claims that StemEnhance® can cure, mitigate, treat or prevent any disease. If you believe that you have a health problem, see your doctor or health professional immediately.

so the site says that its the wonder drug but the disclaimer says they aren't claiming pretty much everything else on the website.

this is a scam, it will do nothing.

There was an article in BBC health July24,2001,of work done at the Imperial College School of medecine, proving that primitive marow stem cells can transform themselves in tokidney cells.I don't have the link,just the copy.On the stemenhance website , they ahve the link to the peer published experiment (double-blind), which proved it would enhance production.

yes, and if you use them methods that they used in the proper medical studies stem cells work.

this is not as simple as popping a pill that makes some stem cells in the the body. it doesn't matter how many stem cells you pump into someone. unless you give them specific and targeted chemical signals they won't do anything.

pretty much like making billions of remote control cars and expecting them to start organising races without anyone controlling them. or making a load of bricks and having them organise themselves into a house.

Can stem cells be used to treat/cure diseases and conditions? yes.

will the stemtech method do any of these? no.

The fact that you never heard of a pill does not rule it out.If you were actually to go to their website, and study the detailed information , and very long , and essentially transparent and open handling of the studies,

First, the reason I had not heard of it is because this study is not in the peer reviewed literature. The paper is only "prepared for submission". The paper at http://www.enhancestemcellsnaturally.com/study.htm does list peer-reviewed studies on the mobilization of stem cells. Notice that none of them use a pill.

Second, what you claim does not exist. I did go to the website and check it out. We have 2 studies and we don't get the detailed information. Not "detailed" as a scientist would conceive of it. For instance, What they did here -- http://www.enhancestemcellsnaturally.com/study.htm -- is look at CD34+ cells. The hematopoietic stem cells are CD34+, but the more primitive stem cells and MSCs are not.

The second paper -- http://www.enhancestemcellsnaturally.com/paper.htm -- is a review paper, mostly speculative, and gives no data on the pill at all.

The most primitive kinds of stem cells as produced by the marrow, have been found as 'becoming' healthy tissue.An overabundance just gets recycled out of the system, but if there is bad tissue,it can help

Not the stem cells they tested for! They tested for hematopoietic stem cells. Those can only become blood cells, not other tissues.

this is not as simple as popping a pill that makes some stem cells in the the body. it doesn't matter how many stem cells you pump into someone. unless you give them specific and targeted chemical signals they won't do anything.

That's not strictly true. The body can provide the cues at the site. All our research shows that. We never give the cells cues before we put them into the body, but we have had the MASCs differentiate in vivo into:

articular cartilage, bone, meniscal cartilage (fibrochondrocytes), mesothelial cells, endothelial cells, neurons, astrocytes, and oligodendrocytes.

1. Lucas, P.A., Warejcka, D.J., Zhang, L-M., Newman, W.H., and Young, H.E. Effect of rat mesenchymal stem cells on development of abdominal adhesions after surgery. J. Surg. Res., 62: 229-232 1996.

2. Grande,D.A., Southerland, S.S., Manji, R., Pate, D.W., Schwartz, R.E., and Lucas, P.A. *Repair of articular cartilage defects using mesenchymal stem cells.* Tissue Engineering 1:345-353, 1995.

3: Schultz SS, Lucas PA. Human stem cells isolated from adult skeletal muscle differentiate into neural phenotypes. J Neurosci Methods. 2006 Apr 15;152(1-2):144-55.

3: Mignon L, Vourc'h P, Romero-Ramos M, Osztermann P, Young HE, Lucas PA,

Chesselet MF. Transplantation of multipotent cells extracted from adult skeletal muscles into the subventricular zone of adult rats. J Comp Neurol. 2005 Oct 17;491(2):96-108.

4: Arriero M, Brodsky SV, Gealekman O, Lucas PA, Goligorsky MS.

Adult skeletal muscle stem cells differentiate into endothelial lineage and

ameliorate renal dysfunction after acute ischemia. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2004 Oct;287(4):F621-7. Epub 2004 Jun 15.

Can stem cells be used to treat/cure diseases and conditions? yes.

will the stemtech method do any of these? no.

Exactly. Increasing the number of circulating stem cells by 30% isn't going to provide enough stem cells to treat/cure diseases. The number of stem cells is still such a low percentage of circulating cells (0.15% at the most according to the paper at the site) that there won't be enough stem cells. When stem cells are used to treat disease, tens of millions to billions of stem cells are injected into the blood stream or placed at the site.

• 6 months later...

Hi, I recently stumbled upon this while helping someone to check out StemEnhance. I'm not a fully-fledged scientist, but would like to add some points:

1. SE increases # circulating CD34+ cells. There are many types of CD34+ cells including hematopoietic cells, endothelial progenitor cells, endothelial cells of blood vessels and mast cells. Hematopoietic stem cells are CD34+CD38-, so SE is wrong in identifying all CD34+ cells as stem cells. In any case, it is generally thought to be impossible to obtain 100% pure population of cells even when using a battery of markers, much less just the 1 marker used here.

2. So SE simply floods the body with CD34+ cells, which may or may not be stem cells. Even if there were an increased #hematopoietic stem cells released into the body, these could very well either simply be unused and later metabolised, or in a worst-case scenario, develop into cancers. Stem cells are, after all, characterised by their ability to form any type of cell downstream of their lineage.

I'm upset by the variety of hyped pseudo-scientific medical treatments being touted today, which throw up some big, multi-syllable scientific words and then try to make money off people who are wont to believe in just about anything in their desire to maintain or improve their or their loved ones' health.

• 1 month later...

I not only take the product, but I am also involved in the business. I have felt a difference in my own health and personally seen a difference in other peoples health.

I have met Dr. Christian Drapeau and I have read his book. There are is over 10 years of testing and research and multiple studies published and the product is SCIENTIFICALLY proven to do exactly what it claims.

Christian is a world renowned scientist and the leading expert in adult stem cell research, so I have a little more faith in his work than people who have done some google work... You wouldn't tell a mechanic that he is wrong, just because you don't think its logical. He is trained and educated in auto mechanics, so you trust him correct??? Think about it.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
The number of stem cells is still such a low percentage of circulating cells (0.15% at the most according to the paper at the site) that there won't be enough stem cells. When stem cells are used to treat disease, tens of millions to billions of stem cells are injected into the blood stream or placed at the site.

2 capsules of STEMEnhance release over 3 million stem cells into the blood stream, they have PROOF that this happens every time you take it, so if you take 4 a day, that's over 6 million daily. Also, adult stem cells are much more stable than embryonic stem cells, there is also research proving that.

I not only take the product, but I am also involved in the business. I have felt a difference in my own health and personally seen a difference in other peoples health.

Awww, did we offend the crackpot peddlers of lies and false hope? Boo Hoo.

You want to convince us? Do one of two things: 1) Disclose ALL of your research documents, here, where we can read them or, better yet, 2) go get FDA certified. If it really is that effective, neither should pose the slightest challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, there are published books and e-books where you can read the research. Also, the FDA is trying to get us to go through the motions of certification. They approach us about it, and you know why? If it's FDA approved, THEY get to sell it and make the profits, and THEY get to sell it at whatever price they want and THEY will make it so that you have to get it prescribed.

WE do not want to get FDA approved because where we sit right now, we can sell it to whoever wants it and they get it cheaper, and WE get the profits. Us getting the profits makes it so that those assholes in the pharmaceutical companies don't get bigger boats and even more inflated pocket books. Also, go ahead and look up how many "FDA Approved" medicines have been pulled from the shelves due to side effects and fatalities. FDA approval holds no merit these days.

I guess some people don't want to feel better and are too scared to work for themselves. They would rather feel like crap and poison themselves with prescription medicines and work for someone else. I am truly sympathetic to those people.

Actually, there are published books and e-books where you can read the research. Also, the FDA is trying to get us to go through the motions of certification. They approach us about it, and you know why? If it's FDA approved, THEY get to sell it and make the profits, and THEY get to sell it at whatever price they want and THEY will make it so that you have to get it prescribed.

WE do not want to get FDA approved because where we sit right now, we can sell it to whoever wants it and they get it cheaper, and WE get the profits. Us getting the profits makes it so that those assholes in the pharmaceutical companies don't get bigger boats and even more inflated pocket books. Also, go ahead and look up how many "FDA Approved" medicines have been pulled from the shelves due to side effects and fatalities. FDA approval holds no merit these days.

Research is posted in journals not books and E-books they just summarize it normally for education purposes or to simplify it and no one wants to give the product to the consumer cheaper they want to sell it at the equilibrium point that is the point of profit maximisation.

Not to mention that an FDA approval only doesn't hold merit in crackpot "medication" that crackpots take.

Actually, there are published books and e-books where you can read the research.

Then show us. You claim it exists, putting it on the same level as Bigfoot. Show us.

You make the claims, you must support them with evidence. That's how science works.

Also, the FDA is trying to get us to go through the motions of certification. They approach us about it, and you know why? If it's FDA approved, THEY get to sell it and make the profits, and THEY get to sell it at whatever price they want and THEY will make it so that you have to get it prescribed.

Are you serious? Even a child knows this is not how the FDA works. The FDA doesn't sell squat, they merely approve/reject.

Also, go ahead and look up how many "FDA Approved" medicines have been pulled from the shelves due to side effects and fatalities. FDA approval holds no merit these days.

Yeah, because a 0.01% failure rate is absolutely catastrophic! OMG we're all gonna die!

Do you have *any* knowledge of medical history? We have the FDA because prior to it, we had quacks like you peddling radioactive material as "therapy" and selling morphine to put kids to sleep.

Seriously, all you're doing here is showing the world how much of a fraud you and your company are, highlighting your ignorance and deceit more with each passing post. Give it up and go get an honest job.

I believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I accept yours and I am truly sympathetic that you do not have the ability to accept mine.

Check this out

http://stemtechbiz.com/study.aspx

AND

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17765649?ordinalpos=5&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

AND

http://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls/default.htm

they are recalling peanut butter!!! Give that to your kids don't ya!

and if you actually read the recall statement you'll see its because of a possibly contaminated batch. not because peanut butter is useless as food. i think we can all agree that peanut butter is useful as a food.

this is a red herring and has bugger all to do with stem enhance which makes a lot of fanciful claims(along with a disclaimer that says it doesn't claim anything)

The sad thing is, this is superficially similar to what we want, at least in appearance, but lacks the one thing to actually make it *useful* - data.

Yes, you have pretty graphs. Good for you. Where are your statistical significances? What statistical tests did you do? What were your protocols? Where's the raw data? What other chemicals were in the pills?

Any idiot can make graphs - I want *numbers*, statistical tests, etc.