New IRC Features

Dave

I've not plugged IRC in a long, long time. However, I've spent a couple of hours today implementing a cool new feature, one which I hope will attract some more of you on there!

For those that don't know; we do have an IRC chatroom for real-time science chats (sometimes) and general miscellaneous conversation. Some of the moderators and administrators can be found on there, and so if you need instant feedback it could be useful to visit. To access the IRC chat, just click the SFN Chatroom link on the navigation bar at the top of the page, next the User CP link.

Anyway, the cool new feature of the day is featured at the bottom of the forum homepage. If you scroll down and look just below the active users, you will see a list of people who are currently on IRC. Hopefully, you'll find this useful and come and chat more..

Hopefully see you there!

Edit: One thing I would quickly like to say is that not everybody you see will always be around, so don't get too impatient if nobody's talking! Leave your computer on for a couple hours and idle like the rest of us :)

I just checked, it works, honest!

You might need to hard-refresh the page. Or try http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/chat.php by hand. Or you might not be using the new style like you should be!

Yes, I am using the VB default style, because I prefer it.

Different stylesheets should not provide different content - in the words of Captain Delladier, "...someone made a mistake. Someone made a goddamned big mistake!" boooooom! CRASHHH! "Roger Young is going down, I repeat; Roger Young is going down..." (slap) "Abandon ship damn it, no time, abandon ship - that's an order! Get to the rescue deck!"

The IRC PDF stickied in this forum no longer exists. We should update it with the new server, I suppose.

Yeah, I mentioned it to Dave a few days ago, but you've all been so busy with the snazzy new look ;)

Good to see some different faces online over the past few days, but a quick note, it sometimes takes people a few mins to realise someone has joined, especially if it's a quiet time of the day, saying hi will often speed this up though...

*ahem* *is this on?* Ladies and gentlemen of SFN, I recently clicked on the IRC Chatroom link and joined the wonderful people there in a stimulating conversation. The people in Chat are NOT evil, they are NOT demons and they are NOT spawns of Satan as we've been lead to believe.

They are hard-working, industrious types who only have your best interests at heart. Sure, they can be funny at times, but mostly they are serious-minded individuals who just want to be your friend. They don't work for a foreign power and are absolutely NOT aliens trying to (sob) take over the world.

Please click on the SFN Chatroom button at the top of your screen and be prepared to make a friend. Thank you. :)

Character - zim
corner_tl.gif corner_tr.gif
tail.gif

Well done, you cringing meat-puppet.

Your family lives another day!

Why is that red light still on?! I said WH-

corner_bl.gif corner_br.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I've noticed that the IRC 'who's online' on the main forum index, doesn't seem to change...or at least not recently. Just wondered if anybody was aware of this ?

Are you sure it isn't just that it is the same people on all the time?