making calcium acetate

bekithemba

hydrated lime is hydrated calcium hydroxide.

adding excess acetic acid to dissolve the lime by neutralization.

Then, I think next you can filter the solution to have a beaker of calcium acetate solution. I lack practical experience so I don't know whether the next step (( evaporating the solution) is correct.

The size of the crystals is up to you, if you wnat to have large crystals, you should boil off only a small proportion of water, and set the beaker aside to let it cool itself.

i have hydrated lime and vinegar which has 4% acetic acid. i need to know how to make calcium acetate which i ned to use in the gelling of ethanol for gel fuel/sterno

The goal is to super-saturate the solution then allow it to crystalize. This can be accomplished by slightly boiling it down and then evap until you obtain crystals. It won't happen at the speed of light.

Joe

i have been trying to make calcium acetate using egg shells and vinegar. when i first put the egg shells into the vinegar there is a fizz that shows that a lot carbon dioxide is being produced, after some time the more i put egg shells into the solution the less the fizz. now there is virtually no real fizz. no bubbles rising. is that the point of saturation?

no, probably an insoluble layer formed.

get yourself some sea shells, and then smash them up, but into a tin can and roast them on a fire, then grind to a fine powder.

add this to your vinigar, then when the fizzing stops, filter and evaporate, you will have calcium acetate :)

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Take one mole of Ca(OH)2, mix it into water and add one mole of Na2CO3, you will get NaOH and CaCO3. The CaCO3 will sink to the bottom while the NaOH remains in solution. Mix the CaCO3 with vinegar to get calcium acetate. (I like this method because it gives me NaOH as well.)