Why do we pee after drinking water?

GrandMasterK

good question.

recently they have decided we need so much in liquids daily and water alone is not that important. my guess in time they will figure fresh water is what we basically are and addition water is not what we need. liquids yes, but why water. i have not drank any water in ten or fifteen years. coffee and beer after five only. the only result has been i never need to get up during the night, i sleep better and have lost my sour stomach syndrome.

When you drink water (or any water based drinks) the water has to go somewhere, it can’t stay in your intestines or else you’d get diarrhoea. The water you drink goes first into your bloodstream and from there to the rest of your body. If you are dehydrated, the cells in your body will absorb the water they need form your blood, but if you already have enough water, the extra water in your blood is filtered out by your kidneys, which empty into your bladder.

The concentration of water in your body has to be kept fairly constant to keep you alive. 3 or 4 days without water and you’ll die

When you drink water (or any water based drinks) the water has to go somewhere, it can’t stay in your intestines or else you’d get diarrhoea. The water you drink goes first into your bloodstream and from there to the rest of your body. If you are dehydrated, the cells in your body will absorb the water they need form your blood, but if you already have enough water, the extra water in your blood is filtered out by your kidneys, which empty into your bladder.

The concentration of water in your body has to be kept fairly constant to keep you alive. 3 or 4 days without water and you’ll die

I didn't interpret the original question that way. As I understand it, water takes about 20-30 minutes to be filtered through the body. Given this, why do we often have to urinate immediately after takinga drink? I'm guessing it might be psychological.

I didn't interpret the original question that way. As I understand it, water takes about 20-30 minutes to be filtered through the body. Given this, why do we often have to urinate immediately after takinga drink? I'm guessing it might be psychological.

I was under the impression that the question wasn't intended seriously in the first place...

I personally don't usually feel the urge to urinate after a drink, unless I already had a full bladder at the time.

I was under the impression that the question wasn't intended seriously in the first place...
Possibly, but I prefer to give the OP the benefit of the doubt.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know. If you mean pee right after drinking water, its not always true, but it usually happens. I think its related to change in body temperature because we often urinate when its cold. And, it might just be psychological too (you would feel like peeing if you see a stream of water).

Hello

I believe part of it is your body clearing the way, or basically your kidneys and such know it will process the water quickly, and a signal is sent to your bladder were if anything is there its gotta go to make room for what's coming.

Mr D

Hello

I don't equite equate it as complex as Multilevel programming, more a simple subsystem notification arrangement, one for amount of liquid being processed and rate, and the other just a storage capacity check. If amount and rate is more than current capacity increase storage capacity through system purge.

Mr D

• 1 year later...

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/menshealth/facts/paruresis.htm

They did not mention this in the above but I heard this years ago in Australia. The best way to go is to multiply in your head.

Such as: 4 times 6 times 4 times 8 times 2 times 10 times 8. :eek: Now all those who are left not going to the bathroom this works. Try it if your bashful.

Also the answer to the first question should include "What triggers us to go to the bathroom in the first place"

I believe the we also pee when the chemicals in our body get to the point where they become toxic. I know it's a simple thing to just think about peeing when our bladder if full but at time I and others pee just a little bit on a hot day and that pee is a darker yellow due to the chemicals in it's make up. Next time notice how you do not pee the same amount each time. and ask yourself what is different

What makes up pee is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea

[/url]

Edited by DANCININTHERAIN
multiple post merged