BG rendering

Nevermore

other than the pop-up blocker that came with FF, try turning any advertisment/popup blockers off.

some prevent the display of anything that has 'ad' in its address, and the sfn images that aren't being displayed appear to be stored at:

http://www.scienceforums.net/images/gradients/gradient_thead.gif

are you sure?

im right-clicking all around the page, and i'm always getting the 'view background image' option. (eg the background for this post is stored at http://www.scienceforums.net/images/sfn/right-shadow.jpg)

whoever did the colour-scheme seems to have liked gradients

and those images that are displaying seem to be under /sfn/, /icons/, or /consol/ rather than anything with 'ad' in it.

nm if im right, you should be able to see our avitars, as their location doesn't have ad in it.

hmm. right you are.

guess 'view background image' means view the image that's in the background, even if there's a coloured box over it :D

it was such a cunning observation aswell, apart from the being wrong bit :-(

bizzare indeed. so we have a problem that is cross-browser, cross-rendering engine, but works in geko-opera, despite not working in geko-firefox :confused:

the only thing i can think of that makes opera different from the others is that you presumably installed it later...

did you try 4nums suggestion of flushing the temporary internet files?

I've never seen one do anything this bizzare, but firewalls can do some pretty stupid stuff. it wouldnt entirely surprise me if the css file was bloked in an attempt to stop sites automatically opening other files.

oh, and kiero-sunbelt firewall has an ad-bloking feature.

other than that, i'm tempted to suspect the can-cause-any-odd-behaviour malware... a html-protocol or LSP hijack could, in theory, accidentaly cause you probs, but that wouldn't explain opera working...

have you tried anti-spyware scans etc?

I can quite easily reproduce the behaviour in Firefox by going to Edit->Preferences, clicking the content tab and then the "Colours... " button, and disabling the "Allow pages to choose their own colours" checkbox.

I can quite easily reproduce the behaviour in Firefox by going to Edit->Preferences, clicking the content tab and then the "Colours... " button, and disabling the "Allow pages to choose their own colours" checkbox.

*snigger* nice one dave :D