high melting point of carbon tetrachloride !!!!!!!!!!!

chuinhen

As far as I understand CCl4 has a high boiling point (relative to that of PbCl4) because the +4 oxidation state of the carbon is very stable. Whereas for lead it is not.

As you go down Group 4 (towards lead) the +4 oxidation state becomes less stable and so for example; PbCl4 easily decomposes into PbCl2 + Cl2.

no, 5614. thats stability of the molecules. melting points are dependant on intermolecular bonds and lattice structure.

i don't know for sure why its higher but it is not extremely high relatively. it is inline with the trends shown by tetrachlorides of elements below it. i would suggest it is to do with the more similar electronegativity with carbon that is causing it somehow.

Insane_alien is right. Stability of molecules does not tell anything about melting point and boiling point. I'm not sure, however, why CCl4 would have an abnormally high boiling point. With compounds like NH3, H2O, HF the explanation is formation of H-bridges, but chlorine does not do something like that. CCl4 also is completely symmetric and apolar, so polarity also is not the reason for a higher than expected boiling point.