Different colored eyes

Law

'Rare Genetics...I like that' :P

It did take some time for me to truly embrace even this small difference from most other people. When I was a kid I was teased because I had 'Cows eyes', or 'Dogs eyes' and it used to make me sad. But as I got older I learned to love the difference and I have to say the majority of the people I meet have nothing but compliments about it. I can always tell when a person first notices them, they just stare into my eyes with a look of 'what the heck??' I love them so much that I was hoping one of my three children would inherit them but alas it doesn't appear this is going to happen...but their eyes are beautiful to me anyways. :)

• 5 months later...

Hey people... to answer all your stupid as hell questions.:doh: I have two different coloured eyes. I have 20/20 vision. We see everything the same colour as everyone else (I even tried covering one eye at a time and comparing colour tones just to make sure when I was younger). I have one brown and one hazel. Many people think it's cool and some even wish they had it. I actually had no idea it was a disease until recently. But there are no symptoms and yes, I can see just as perfect as any idiot with same coloured eyes.

PS: Mine is genetic because my great grandmother had it, and my uncle also has it. I was born with a normal brown eye and a grey eye with a blue quarter. My left eye is still brown and my right eye is now hazel with one quarter of it (like a perfect quarter at the bottom left -toward the direction of my nose) is slightly darker hazel than the rest, but still much lighter than the brown of my left eye. Mom said it turned like about 2 weeks after birth. Since my Mom's grandma and her brother both have it, there was no problem.

There you go, you're informed

Hey people... to answer all your stupid as hell questions.:doh: I have two different coloured eyes. I have 20/20 vision.

Wow... I feel enlightened, like I'm now capable of teaching a course on the genetics of eye color and the possibilities involved in combinatorial DNA linkage. Thanks!

What color was George Washington's white horse? Who's burried in Grant's tomb? Has anyone ever said you looked like a Border Collie? :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I have also been blessed with 2 different coloured eyes. Mine started off as blue and one changed to brown when I was about 9 months old.

I have normal eyesight and can see perfectly the world around me.

I have found out that there are about 5 million people in the world with different coloured eyes and they are mainly from European stock. British or Dutch in origin.

Famous people with different coloured eyes were Alexander the Great and also King Alfred of England who burnt the cakes. The only famous woman with heterochromia that I know of is the actress Jane Seymour who is from Dutch origins.

We can feel proud of ourselves as we are definitely a one in a million person.

regards from Nottingham, England

...just waiting for someone to be like "I was there man, I totally freaked."

I don't think we can title the characteristic of two eye colors as a genetic defect unless it effects the ability of the human's ability to see. Maybe we can call it "rare genetics".

I think we can term it a "genetic defect" if it is a result of faulty genetics. It could be a benign defect or it could be the fourth stage of a brain tumor. It could also be a minor mutation that is coded seamlessly into the genome.

It is very uncommon that the human body has asymmetric "quirks" such as this. Besides the structural unilateralism, the only asymmetry I can think of is in the ears and eyebrows. I have an eyebrow (left) that ruffs up on it's inside end. I have seen other people with this identical trait, one was a Mormon. I also have a nicked ear that shorts the rounding and makes my ear look pointy. This is more common, sometimes both ears (which I think looks better). It's funny, when someone does have one of the more frequent "genetic defects" and, say, a nicked ear, it is the ear that stands out like a sore thumb.

How do I know it's a genetic defect? Because there's three inches between your eyebrows. If eyebrows being locked together like fingers wasn't a birth defect, you wouldn't pluck them out. Now these days a ruffed eyebrow will get second looks but it's there for a reason. I mean nobody past age 12 leaves a unibrow where it is. It's obscene.

I would think two different colored eyes (past aqua-marine and blue) would give the appearance of a concussion (or a brain tumor). It's a tough sell, although I have to admit I've thought about it before.

As far as eyes go, I'm partial to nut brown, particularly blue, maybe sheer hazel (very uncommon). Blue-green, gray or anything two tone kind of makes me twitch. That's just my natural reaction. I could have a psychological block from things past. It's hard to talk to some people even.

I heard David Bowie blew a line, went into a mellow trance, someblood came out of his nose and his one eye was a different color (or something like that).

Rubbish. Bowie's eyes are the same colour.

He had an accident as a kid (involving head trauma) and blew his left pupil. His left pupil is fixed and dilated due to damage to the ocular motor nerve.

His irises are the same colour (hazel/green) but his left pupil is permanently dilated, so that eye appears darker.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
As I recall, I think two different eyes is a genetic defect in which one eye received a bit more pigmentation than the other, so the colors are different.

How is that a defect? I thought a defect was a trait that gave the creature a significant disadvantage?

• 3 weeks later...

Your son has a condition called "sectoral heterochromia iridium", where one eye is actually two different colors. This is more rare than the complete eye being a different color than the other eye. I have two different colored eyes and have gotten many, many compliments and many have seriously wished to have my eye color. I have the added bonus of being born on October 31st / Halloween. This condition is NOT a defect.... It is simply not run of the mill standard. Stunning beauty happens only rarely, however, all of the ugly people do not same a stunning person is "defective".... rather they say how unique they are. Does anyone know of a club or organization for persons with different colored eyes ??

• 2 weeks later...

Though different color eyes might be a defect, it doesn't mean that it is a bad thing. Why do we care if someone is different then we are? of everyone was the same, everything would be a lot more complicated, and i would really appreciate dog tags...

personally, i think it would be awesome to have an eye with two different colors...

Edited by Vlad007
Spelling...Ops

• 3 months later...
Bi-colored eyes - common in Siberians, and of no real concern. ... I always tell people that most dogs, when born, have blue eyes. As they age, certain genetic triggers cause pigmentation to be released into the eye, turning it darker colors. Sibes have these triggers isolated to each eye, and they may or may not release the pigments equally. Not exactly true, but close enough for most people to understand what is going on. In Siberians, most bi-eyed dogs are just as normal as brown or blue-eyed dogs - which is to say they are crazy furballs, but no different.

The only information I could find on the subject.

• 2 weeks later...

Those had to be contacts. Someone's eye color being one different from the other on the same individual would be meaningless or a slight mutation benign of some sort. And yes this would be harmful to attempt to do to oneself unless an expert of lasers becomes involved... perhaps. Currently appears impossible with chemicals or lasers.

Many persons eye color does slightly change over time becoming darker or lighter pigments since anythings possible at least with the human body and eyes experiencing some degree of slight graduation from one color to another. A drastic change however by material means would probably prove blindness.

That's a neat picture of your son. I haven't got to see one like that before. [i know he doesn't have contacts; my earlier post was for the previous posts]

Attached A Photo Of My Sons Eyes. One Is Half Blue And One Is Half Brown. Cool Huh. :D

Common in Siberians ? awesome.

• 2 months later...

I was born with 2 different colored eyes. No one else in my bloodline was born that way. I am the only one. There are not any downsides to it.

1. It makes you feel like your special

2. Only about 5 million people are born like me

3. I kinda have a sensitivity to light but I think that is just me.

If you wanna talk. You cna add my myspace. http://www.myspace.com/i_am_grey

I detest to the comment about it being a Defect . It i smost certainly not a defect

what color eyes is it possible for a human to have? I've seen blue, green, gray, (mine are blue/gray) and brown. Anything I've left out for people other than shades of the ones I listed?

I've seen people who had the whites of their eyes tattooed a blue color.

what color eyes is it possible for a human to have? I've seen blue, green, gray, (mine are blue/gray) and brown. Anything I've left out for people other than shades of the ones I listed?

I've seen people who had the whites of their eyes tattooed a blue color.

Nah. They were just spice addicts.

• 5 weeks later...