Why Does Water Make Me Sick?

Relax buddy , I am in just for the facts , no need and no inclination to get personal . And I am MD btw

And by arrogant and presumptuous I meant it would be arrogant of me to call a doctor wrong who has examined and talked to a patient after just having an indirect online chat . I think u misunderstood it as a reflection upon your doctor .

Relax buddy , I am in just for the facts , no need and no inclination to get personal . And I am MD btw

And by arrogant and presumptuous I meant it would be arrogant of me to call a doctor wrong who has examined and talked to a patient after just having an indirect online chat . I think u misunderstood it as a reflection upon your doctor .

I don't know how it could be anything other than a reflection on my doctor as she prescribed probiotic for my acid reflux. I thought it was dubious myself but it seems to have helped. I offered it as a harmless alternative to try but if you have some reason to believe that it was a case of ignorance on the part of my MD then people should hear about it. Admittedly one case doesn't prove correlation yet alone causation but it also doesn't reflect well on the medical community if they go around insulting each other.

• 3 weeks later...

This is something I've also struggled with as long as I can remember. Don't know if stats will be of interest, but for what it's worth I'm 30, female, more active than your average 30yr old (no desk job either), and of normal BMI. I generally eat healthy with a tendency toward little carbs and higher protein content. Warm water is mostly tolerable in small sips strung throughout the day but not a cureall for sure. Today, I drank two ~16oz bottles of water between 9a-5p and toward 3p with 1/2 bottle left to go I started feeling the nausea building. It wears off after 30-60 minutes if I completely stop fluid intake. I also find that sometimes it is accompanied by a headache (the type that creates a feeling of fullness in the head) and sometimes a dull middle back pain (where you'd expect the kidneys to be - but no infection to speak of).

I was reading in class today about the urinary system and the adjustment for water and sodium content. Water often follows sodium as far as reabsorption goes. Also, too little water intake triggers ADH (antidiuretic hormone) which triggers the body to put aquaporins into the lining of the nephron tubules and collecting duct to take more water in to the body. If I recall, there was a syndrome where people are ADH/aquaporin deficient and thus cannot retain water. I wonder if there is a similar dysfunction in which the aquaporins cannot be removed. Thereby causing upset with any large amount of water because it over hydrates a person.

I don't know if that's worth considering because I think the majority of us seem to tend toward dehydration rather than overhydration, but it's something to mull over perhaps?

I do think the electrolyte concept is worth revisiting as well since that is deeply intertwined with water reabsorption.

Regarding the psychosomatic concept, I think it's very possible. Psychosomatic issues are largely (and unfairly) dismissed. However, since I've experienced this since I was a young child and even tried correcting it with behavioral cognitive therapy, it's worth my considering it is purely physical.

One thing I have noticed is that I don't drink much in general. I almost never get thirsty despite only drinking maybe 2-3 glasses of any fluid a day. I don't drink sugary beverages. I do drink one cup of half coffee half milk. But I find any short term or continued substantial fluid intake makes me feel unwell throughout the course of the day. (I periodically go on water-conscious healthy binges where I try to get at least 4-5 cups of water/day in me, but it never lasts more than a few weeks to a month because of the nausea/headache/lethargy/general malaise that seems to accompany it.)

I will try the addition of 1 Tsp salt and 1 Tsp sugar to see if that helps. Here's to hoping!

• 2 months later...

I never had this problem until I took a trip to Florida last Feb.; traveling has a way of making my digestive system grind to a halt, and not pooping for several days then drinking senna tea threw my digestive system into VERY painful symptoms for eight months after that. I tried everything naturopathic and homeopathic I could find to help get it cleared up, and it finally was doing fairly well until I got a stomach flu three days ago. Now I am back where I started symptom-wise. The upshot is that in addition to all my painful stomach and colon symptoms, I developed the inability to drink water - which I love; we get our water from an artesian spring - and that improved but didn't completely go away, and now since the flu it is back.

I was able to help the water absorption by making sole (pronounced so-lay) - which is himalayan salt (or any other natural salt of your preference) dissolved into water until the water will absorb no more - and putting a half teaspoon of it into my 24 oz water bottle along with 15-20 drops of Cellfood, which tastes very citrusy and oxygenates, removes toxins and helps the body absorb minerals. So back on my former regimen I go - soothing and healing teas, probiotics, and doctored water. I still don't know what the problem is that causes this acute discomfort, though, after being seen by doctors, scoped, and tested for IBS and pancreatic stuff. I also found that monolaurin (brand name Lauricidin) helped for the food part of it.

• 3 months later...

The drinks were more throughout the day, not close together.

Phew, now I feel much better.

All water, bottled water, sink water, those 5 galloon things you put on the water cooler, all of it. It's everytime so that leads me to believe it doesnt have something to do with anything I've eaten before or after.

I forgot cramping to, it will give stomach/abdominal cramps occassionally.

I have IBS.....could that for some reason at all be a reason for this?

I'm surprised so many other people are haveing this problem for over 10yrs i drank 1-2 gallons of water every single day for bodybuilding reasons i started haveing some health problems and one is fibromyalgia which is being blamed as the cause but it just doesn't make sense that something i drank gallons of most of my life and now 1 sip can cause vomiting or bloating like I'm 9 months pregnant not a good look for a guy so for me i had to switch to Gatorade or powerade there are some juices i can make with water and not get sick but i would really like to drink more water if it didn't make me so sick and i can feel the lack of lubrication in all my joints

Whenever I have a stomach virus, my stomach can't handle water unless it is in the form of ice. Small sips, big gulps, cold, cool, warm, doesn't matter.

I once had a severe stomach virus this year and it started with noticeable nausea in my sleep. I was so nauseous I felt like throwing up as soon as I woke up. In the morning, I was tired but couldn't sleep and threw up and had diarrhea about every 5-10 minutes or so. My dad suggested saltines which I said no to at first but later on I slowly ate a few saltines. It aggravated my stomach.

In the afternoon I slept and after that, for about 10-20 minutes I felt better. But just as soon as I went to see if Momma was okay, I got nauseous again and went home. Momma gave me alka seltzer(the original stuff). I dissolved as much of it as possible by moving the water back and forth without spilling. I then sipped it slowly(I always take time between sips when I am nauseous whether it is 7 up, water, or alka seltzer). It worked for my nausea. My diarrhea was gone at this point. Once again in the evening I slept through it. I then got myself I can of 7 up and drank it carbonated(usually my stomach can tolerate carbonated 7 up when I am nauseous). I drank about half of it before I threw up again. I slept for several hours and then drank it flat(Unlike my dad, it is not the flat vs carbonated that I like or don't like but rather the flavor(seltzer water, even flavored, tastes like alka seltzer unless the brand is faulty in the making of seltzer water. Then it is soda which I like)). Finally I could drink something other than alka seltzer without throwing up like 5 minutes later.

When I took my medicine, I used either water or 7 up(can't remember which) as the fluid. I then slept through the night, holding what was in my stomach, in my stomach(I do this to counteract what the vomit center of my brain is saying and thus not throw up in my sleep).

The nausea went away the next day but I was really sore. My dad was sore as well. Both my dad and I had abdominal muscle soreness from the throwing up and diarrhea. My dad had kidney pain(which my Momma bought cranberry juice for all 3 of us) and I had rib pain. My brain was saying "No, just No" to the cranberry juice from previous experience not liking it and not able to sweeten it with the same amount of sugar as I would lemonade despite the exact same acidity level. So I drank 7 up. Lots of it. The pain lasted for several days and then finally after 5 days it was asymptomatic(meaning my immune system won the hard battle).

Usually I feel hot when I am nauseous but with this severe stomach virus, I didn't feel any heat really.

Anyway, that is just 1 of several times I have gotten sick and coudn't handle water.

• 8 months later...

I posted a year and 1/2 ago that I was starting on probiotics, digestive enzymes and folate, I'm not sure which one did the trick but I am able to drink water without a problem. I'm still taking the folate everyday. It's actually L-methylfolate. I honestly think it was the probiotics that helped me. I will take them occasionally now if I feel a little unbalanced.

A few months ago I started adding apple cider vinegar to my water for other reasons. It took a few days to get used to the smell and taste but antidotally at least, it's supposed to be good for you. You could start out with just a drop or 2 to see if that makes the water less upsetting. I add 2 tablespoons to 12 oz of water, twice a day.

Hope this helps

I was reminded of this thread recently by my circumstance. I used to drink lots and lots of water when I was younger, it was my favourite drink... now I just drink a little every now and again and mainly drink coke. I went to my friends house the other week and he was out of coke and I forgot to take some.. so I drank a couple of glasses of cold water.... It did give me quite horrible stomach pains... maybe it was too cold, maybe I drank too much... who knows.. It certainly hurt though. I think I drank too much of it too soon.

Has caused serious mental health problems and physical. Some days are good some are a nightmare.

!

Moderator Note

First, the thrust of your post takes this thread away from its intent, except to anecdotally mention the symptoms of the drug you've taken. It's a hijack of someone else's thread and therefore against the rules.

Second, while we can certainly discuss the medication you mention (in its own thread) as long as nobody is making any diagnoses, the discussion would certainly need to be evidence driven, and have more than anecdotes to support it.

Third, if you can't refrain from mentioning anything in the discussion regarding a pending lawsuit, I would advise you not to open the thread at all.

I have hidden your lengthy post, since it would not provide a good place to start discussion. Thanks for understanding, and if you'd like to review our rules, the link is at the lower right of the page.

Responses to this note are unnecessary and offtopic here, but Report it if you object to it, by all means. :)

• 1 month later...

I would suggest you learn a little bit about structural water, or water memory.

See YouTube videos about Luc Montagnier, who won the Nobel Prize for his work in identifying the AIDS virus.

Regardless of your personal feelings about unusual cures, it may be you could find relief through using a form of structured water.

Edited by Dave Moore

Strange, I notice that no matter what topic, you aggressively follow me around and show everyone you have hurt feelings. I bear you no grudge.

I asked if the poster had tried structured water. I don't recommend it, nor do I not recommend it. I know that I've read some interesting studies have been done with structured water.

I thought that the scientific process was used here.

Saying "There is no such thing" is a baseless claim. Have you actually studied structured water? Is everything impossible unless you personally believe in it?

Edited by Dave Moore

Looks like a con at first glance - They sell you a machine that "structures" your water. Sounds like nonsense. It claims that the water near a hydrophilic surface 'structures' in some way, like it does in ice with it's H-bonds. Even if it did it would loose that structure when drunk (and why would it be better for you?). It is nonsense, like homeopathy from a first glance at it. Not sure I want to waste my time researching it further, we'll see it pop up in the medical journals if it is real.

Strange, I notice that no matter what topic, you aggressively follow me around and show everyone you have hurt feelings. I bear you no grudge.

I asked if the poster had tried structured water. I don't recommend it, nor do I not recommend it. I know that I've read some interesting studies have been done with structured water.

I thought that the scientific process was used here.

Saying "There is no such thing" is a baseless claim. Have you actually studied structured water? Is everything impossible unless you personally believe in it?

As there is zero evidence for anything called "structured water" I will suspend my credulity until there is some. (That is what the scientific process is for; you don't believe everything until someone disproves it.)

But, again, feel free to prove me wrong (it happens frequently) by posting references to peer-reviewed research demonstrating the existence of structured water.

(I don't know why you think I would "follow you around" or that I have hurt feelings.)

DrP, you never apologized as promised, after I did.

Why do you think that structured water has anything to do with marketing a particular product?

That is hilarious. Anyone can capitalize on any technology or idea. I could argue back, Ibuprofen? That's a laugh! $19.99 a bottle!

Why did you say that it was a con at first glance.

You investigate things like that, and actually post the first negative thought that comes into your head??

Your apology? Was it just a trick to get me to apologize? Come on, have honor.

Ibuprofen is an anti inflammatory. It works and works well. Structured water is ... just water. There is no evidence that the water arranged at a cell membrane wall, or however it is supposedly made, is better for your health than normal water... it is just water. So, yes, it is a marketing con to trick the gullible at first glance, like homeopathy. I would assume, like with any blank medicine such as homeopathy, there will be a placebo effect with it. ;-) To compare it with Ibuprofen is totally laughable.

QUOTE "...first negative thought that come into your head?" - No - honest assessment.

As for your apology, I was going to put that in the other thread, but I am work at the moment and have just been nipping on and off of here.

I will do it properly in the other thread, but here is a quicky for you - I am sorry I called you a dick - it was rude of me.

I would suggest you learn a little bit about structural water, or water memory.

See YouTube videos about Luc Montagnier, who won the Nobel Prize for his work in identifying the AIDS virus.

Regardless of your personal feelings about unusual cures, it may be you could find relief through using a form of structured water.

Where's the "Bang my head on the wall." smiley?

When I was young we had what I would call 'sweet water' which I could drink all day, except if it were from an aluminum tumbler [which somehow our family had acquired some anodized aluminum tumblers in 5 different colors and each of 5 children had one] so I just drank from a polyethylene one instead, but I had no problems of any kind until some uncertain point later in life.

I do have IBS but I have been on an almost steady regimen for 17 years controlling it with pantoprazole and having had the problem from before, and during, I could not tell any changes with or without my medication as to the response to pure water.

I want to say I lean toward the electrolyte deficiency school of thought because simply adding lemon to water seems to help me some.

I must remark though, water in many restaurants is thoroughly carbon filtered, and in those cases I have no problem with it, so perhaps if I just put a screw-on filter on my water tap, perhaps I will be able to live without the problem.

Structured water is ... just water. There is no evidence that the water arranged at a cell membrane wall, or however it is supposedly made, is better for your health than normal water... it is just water. So, yes, it is a marketing con to trick the gullible at first glance, like homeopathy. I would assume, like with any blank medicine such as homeopathy, there will be a placebo effect with it. ;-)

As a chemical engineer I have to agree with this. :)

Water is only water and the only 'structured' water is ice, and to be ultimately accurate, ice formed by a human who is building something like an igloo because natural crystal lattices, although they have a natural form of 'structure' such as a snow flake, are not so 'structured' outside of their natural polar affinity as to be in any way more 'structured' when you melt them, returning them back to a normal liquid state as randomly moving free motion molecules.

Dave Moore, Some snake oil peddler is just yanking your chain. :P

• 8 months later...
On 6/30/2006 at 11:07 PM, GrandMasterK said:

Whenever I drink water I get a stomach ache, sometimes it makes me nauseous or I feel like throwing up. My family swears up and down that it's probably all the milk I drink and that I'm probably some form of lactose-intolerant, but milk never makes me sick or hurts my stomach it does nothing but make me feel better when I drink it. I felt dehydrated last night and nor pop or milk or gatorade was quenching this feeling, I felt like I was missing something you know and it was making me not feel very good. So I figured I needed water and I got a bottle from the fridge and started taking some drinks. I don't like the taste of water so it wasn't a grand experience. Within minutes, my stomach started feeling....icky. A combination of sort of an acid pain and feeling like my stomach was a half full water balloon (especially when I moved around). Felt like I was gonna throw up for a good hour until it went away, this happens almost everytime I drink water. I can't be allergic to water or anything like that right, what sense would that make?

The back of my throat always feels weird when I drink water to, not sure if that's normal or not, it's sort of a scratchy sensation.

I just feel the same thing as you if you got any help please hear from you. I've suffered for 20 years with this problem, just when I was little. I could not stop drinking water

• 2 months later...

In 2007, my wife started throwing up multiple times a day. After about a year of this and doctors, we finally decided to remove tap water from her diet and only use spring water from the store. Instantly she stopped throwing up. I don't know what the issue was since she didn't have problems drinking it before then. I live in the Houston area and looking through water reports and doing some research online, Houston's municipal water districts discontinued using chlorine to disinfect water and switched to chloramine. This coincides with the start of my wife's vomiting. I don't know that this is the cause it might be.  She drinks spring water from gallon jugs now. It's been almost 10 years since she's been drinking only spring water. She has recently been getting nauseous again. I don't know why. Perhaps the spring water now has chloramine in it. We're searching again.  

5 minutes ago, brianjsmooth said:

In 2007, my wife started throwing up multiple times a day. After about a year of this and doctors, we finally decided to remove tap water from her diet and only use spring water from the store. Instantly she stopped throwing up. I don't know what the issue was since she didn't have problems drinking it before then. I live in the Houston area and looking through water reports and doing some research online, Houston's municipal water districts discontinued using chlorine to disinfect water and switched to chloramine. This coincides with the start of my wife's vomiting. I don't know that this is the cause it might be.  She drinks spring water from gallon jugs now. It's been almost 10 years since she's been drinking only spring water. She has recently been getting nauseous again. I don't know why. Perhaps the spring water now has chloramine in it. We're searching again.  

Perhaps contaminated plumbing like fungus or bacteria from some organic residue in the pipes.

5 hours ago, koti said:

Perhaps contaminated plumbing like fungus or bacteria from some organic residue in the pipes.

No. She worked about 15 miles from our home and had the same issue there. Like clockwork, it was 1/2 hour after drinking water she'd throw up. It didn't matter where she went, it was the same. She ended up bringing water everywhere she went.

3 minutes ago, brianjsmooth said:

No. She worked about 15 miles from our home and had the same issue there. Like clockwork, it was 1/2 hour after drinking water she'd throw up. It didn't matter where she went, it was the same. She ended up bringing water everywhere she went.

From what you write I agree that it does look like it's the tap water but always keep a sharp mind and remember that correlation does not imply causation. I hope your Mrs will be ok, be sure get her to an MD.