unexplained nosebleeds

After haveing random nosebleeds twice recently (lastnight and just now) i have to wonder if there is a cause to these. both times i've just been sitting around and then i have a nice big bloodstain on my t shirt. this isn't normal for me either its been about 4 years since i last had a nosebleed and thats because i got kicked in the face.

After haveing random nosebleeds twice recently (lastnight and just now) i have to wonder if there is a cause to these. both times i've just been sitting around and then i have a nice big bloodstain on my t shirt. this isn't normal for me either its been about 4 years since i last had a nosebleed and thats because i got kicked in the face.

um.. could it be that you are experiencing slight thrombocytopenia? perhaps you have a weak blood vessel in the internal cavities of your nasal passages. and because of thrombocytopenia you experience "nose bleeds"

*Thrombocytopenia (or -paenia, or thrombopenia in short) is the presence of

relatively few platelets in blood.

Signs and symptoms

Often, low platelet levels do not lead to clinical problems; rather, they are

picked up on a routine full blood count. Occasionally, there may be bruising,

nosebleeds and/or bleeding gums.

It is vital that a full medical history is elicited, to ensure the low platelet

count is not due to a secondary process. It is also important to ensure that

the other blood cell types red blood cells, and white blood cells, are not also

suppressed.*

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrombocytopenia

I used to get seriously bad and frequent nosebleeds in my undergrad days. They were mostly brought on by stress and hot weather. Also this year the pollen seems to be extra irritiating. It's possible that a combination of the hot weather and pollen inflaming the lining of your nose will bring on a nosebleed.

i doubt its a low platelet count as i have none of the other syptoms and i also doubt that its weak blood vessels since it hasn't happened in a long time.

could be the pollen thing though, i have bad hayfever.

i was just wondering what causes them.

Sounds like generally irritated and inflamed nose lining then - do you take any nasal sprays for your hayfever?

You could try moving house. I've just realised I don't think I've had any nosebleeds since I've lived in Yorkshire. I used to get them all the time living down South.

Occasionally I get nosebleeds for no apparent reason, and I'll get a few over a few days, and then they'll stop. There's never the slightest pain, and I usually only notice it when the blood starts to drip. I would guess it's just environmental stuff that makes certain blood vessels susceiptible to even minor irritation (like rubbing your nose), and once its bled once the freshly healed vessel is even more fragile for a few days.

Recently i visited a doctor for the gazillionth time RE: nosebleeds and he gave me a solution that actually worked.

I am 14 years and at first i was sent to an office to get the vessel burned by this thing similar to a match but after a few months or so the effect wore off.

Then few months ago, i was referred to the hospital where i had to undergo a surgery where cauterization was done. Basically they numbed my nose and used this electrical device to burn the vessel for the bleeding to be stopped. Summer has arrived and ever since i have not recieved a nose bleed. Kudos to cauterization!

But as for the cause...maybe the dryness in the air? Unless you had constant nosebleeds when you were younger...Perhaps the finger accidentley found itself in the nose? Hmmm...Heh =P

• 4 months later...

Usually, nosebleeds are harmless (unless acompanied by other symptoms ) they can happen following a cold, blowing ones nose too hard, or the usual picking ones nose (I'm sure that you don't do that one!) First Aid for nose bleeds is to put your head forward and pinch the nostrils, and do not blow your nose for an hour or more........Im sure that stress could be a factor but never heard of that one.

• 3 weeks later...

Consider all the other possibilites but there is an old chinese term of substances you ingest being too "heaty". It includes things that are very sweet like chocolate. It might help to drink "cooling" which is the opposite to counteract the effects of the "heat". Cooling substances include blandly- flavoured food and iced, cool tea. The cause of your nosebleed could just be because it is a hot day.

Also, digging your nose roughly or scatching it can cause it to bleed excessively since the nose is known to be a very leaky organ.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...

The fastest way to stop a nosebleed.... place an icepack (wrapped in a tea towel) on the back of your neck. Since all blood goes to your head... somehow it helps cool the blood, and makes the blood coagulate faster. I used to have a lot of problems with nosebleeds that wouldn't stop... and the hospital would stick a silver nitrate stick up my nose to cauterize the blood vessel. (I now have silver nitrate sticks at home in my first aid kit) Hot weather seems to be a big culprit. I find cooling my body temperature quickly, like immersing my feet in cold water helps in the summer. (kiddie pools are great!)

• 1 month later...

I had idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP) for the last 8 or so years at and above the ankle of both legs. I also have gotten unexplained nosebleeds for many years, often when just sitting doing absolutely nothing. I had a lot of other health problems that could not be explained and was finally diagnosed with Celiac Disease. The ITP vanished in a week and so did many other symptoms when I stopped eating gluten grains. Celiac is an autoimmune disease that causes the body to attach the villi of the small intestine when it detects gluten in the system. People with Celiac can't eat anything containing or made from wheat, rye or barley and it is amazing how gluten is just about everywhere you look.

Back to ITP and nosebleeds - I must have had a low platelet count because I also took forever to clot when I nicked myself shaving. The reason I mention ITP, nosebleeds and Celiac in the same post is that Celiac is an autoimmune disease and ITP is also an immune response. The body, for whatever reason, attacks and kills red blood cells. If you have unexplained nosebleeds and/or ITP, please consult an experienced GI doc about Celiac.

Edited by Sam338

• 1 month later...

I have had two nosebleeds on different occasions for no reason at all where hugh blood clots came out of my nose. It was weird but no other problems associated with it.

Then you have a massive problem my dear friend and need to get that checked out