no Internet

ecoli

This one has got me scratching my head.

I run XP pro home, and everything was working fine. I didn't even shut my computer off for the day, and when I got home at night, the Internet had magically stopped working. I tried repairing my LAN connection, but that didn't help. I made sure my computer was communicating with the router (it was). I ran some anti-virus/ad-block software in safe mode and still nothing.

This one is confusing me because I didn't do anything to make it stop working, and I can't do anything to make it start again. Thanks for the help.

You are connecting to your router, that's good.

Now is your router connecting to the outside world? There's a little light on mine which tells me.

Snail's suggestion is good. You're ISP might just be having some down time.

Go to the start menu and chose Run and type in: cmd and then type:

ping http://www.google.com

it'll either start saying "reply from......" which is good or it will not be able to find it or get a response. What this does is try to send a few packets to Google. If it works it means you do have Internet connection, even if you can't browse the web, so it might be a problem with a firewall or browser. If the ping does not work then you have no connection at all.

In Control Panel > Network Connections ensure that your LAN is Enabled. If you click on it once and then on the side under Network Tasks click 'View status of this connection'. You could even try making a new connection.

Just double check the router is connected with all the wires and that all the phone sockets still have a microfilter on them.

I forgot to mention, the Internet is is working order on other computers in my house, so I'm pretty sure it's a problem at my end, rather then my ISP. At least, I'm pretty sure it's working. I'm going to double check that anyway.

I had the same problem some time ago.

Well my IP adress was all 0's. Like 00.000.00.00

Well i just restored my computer and it worked again. I think one of the files got corrupt or something.