Mouse Problems

In My Memory

Every so often, at least once a day, my mouse starts acting strangely:

- Sometimes the cursor will stop responding all together, but the keyboard works. When I ctrl-alt-delete and enter "stand-by" mode, then immediately return to what I was doing, the mouse works fine.

- Sometimes the mouse will act like its possessed, and when I touch the mouse the cursor will randomly appear on the screen and click things. If I click the mouse without moving it, then it will shift to the right a few pixels. I have to press ctrl-alt-delete to get the cursor working normally again. (The possessed mouse has been known to close out programs or documents I'm working on.)

- Sometimes the mouse wheel stops responding. I have to restart my computer to get it working again.

I apologize that I cant really be more specific, but is there a patch or something I can install to fix my mouse?

What os are you on? Well, regardless, your options are;

You may, cliche as it sounds, have been hacked. Run a norton internet security scan.

Run a virus scan.

Try a different mouse. Maybe the problem is in the actual mouse

Reinstall mouse drivers

You may' date=' cliche as it sounds, have been hacked. Run a norton internet security scan.

[/quote']

You've been watching too many films - why would someone hack random people and move their mouse every so often?

And why do people always place too much faith in norton internet security? and why would you assume this person has it installed?

Instead ask questions like are you using a laptop with a touch pad you maybe leaning on . . . . better question how old and what type of mouse do you have - if its optical what surface are you running it on.

Are you using the drivers/software that came with the mouse, most of the time people just plug the mouse in (best way if you ask me) but which have you done? . . . is it wireless? roller ball.

Details help narrow the problem

Bluesmudge,

Instead ask questions like are you using a laptop with a touch pad you maybe leaning on . . . . better question how old and what type of mouse do you have - if its optical what surface are you running it on.

Are you using the drivers/software that came with the mouse' date=' most of the time people just plug the mouse in (best way if you ask me) but which have you done? . . . is it wireless? roller ball.

Details help narrow the problem[/quote']

I'm using an HP Pavilion PC, a mouse with a roller ball. The mouse is the same one that came with the PC, but its an old mouse and computer from 2002.

You've been watching too many films - why would someone hack random people and move their mouse every so often?

who knows, but they do. example

A virus scan would be a quick and easy way to eliminate one possible (albeit unlikely) cause of the problem.

I'm using an HP Pavilion PC, a mouse with a roller ball. The mouse is the same one that came with the PC, but its an old mouse and computer from 2002.

What make is the mouse? I have a similar problem btw: my logitec roller-ball mouse spasmodically descides to drop the cursor down slowly to the bottom of the screen. also, every now-and-again, the mouse freezes and refuses to respond... rebooting is the only way i've found to make my mouse work again.

stoopid mice.

who knows' date=' but they do. example

A virus scan would be a quick and easy way to eliminate one possible (albeit unlikely) cause of the problem.

True, but doesn't explain why it would fix itself after going into standby, which is why i was going down the drivers root

though i've had random movement through cheap opticals, loose parts etc . . . . and roller balls go funny after a year without cleaning . . . . though knowing my luck it'll turn out to be a virus :(

I don't think this is the root problem, but I'd suggest opening up the bottom of the mouse and taking out the ball so you can clean off all the dust on the various wheels in it.
This is usually what I suggest to people having mouse problems. Fine debris from pads, dust and hand lotions / soaps can combine to create quite a buildup on the rollers and wheels the ball uses to track with.

I've never heard of it being so bad it shut down applications but four year's worth of buildup might do just that.

Doubt this is the problem since it seems to get fixed using control-alt-delete but this could be a combination problem.

IMM: "the mouse will act like its possessed"

gcol: "A mouse with clean balls is a happy mouse"

lol!

Moving on, I dunno, sounds like a problem my Dad had with his old computer, there really was no solution but to replace it. After ruling out every possible explanation other than a hardware fault we got a new one (actually an old mouse that way lying around) and that fixed the problem.

Thinking about this, this is exactly what my Dad had. It just stopped responding sometimes, moved small amounts by itself - I don't remember the scroll thing stopping, but it wasn't my computer and I didn't use it much so I probably would not have noticed that... so I suggest getting a new one.