Polyethylene

KFC

I Have Some Ethylene How Would I Change It In to A Monopolymer Then How Would I Put It Through An Adatoin Reaction To Make Polyethyle Or Way Way To Hard To Do. By the Way If Put A Banana Under Water Will The Ethylene Gas Bubble Up(Over Time) Or Will It Rot?

you wouldnt be able to make a monomer of PE because the monomer is ethylene its self. To make it polymerize you can do multiple things but usually you need some sort of catalyst (rare/expensive) and high pressures. ANd i dont see why puttign a banana underwater would cause it to create Ethylene it would just rot.

Ethene is polymerized at 60 degrees centigrade and atmospheric pressure using a Ziegler-Natta catalyst; before this the reaction was carried out at elevated temps and high pressure. Both scientists recieved the Nobel peace prize for their work. Ethene is the gas given off in ripening fruits and accelerates the ripening process. Thus transporters of frits employ substances to absorb this gas and delay the ripening of fruit in transit. Collecting ethene from a ripening banana is a waste of time and the quantity emitted is nothing you can do anything with. Have to generate it in the lab.

Ethanol + Con H2SO4 at 170 deg C. CARE !!!

yes but you have to turn the ethanol into ethene first.

Hmm... dehydration maybe something like this using sulphuric acid as a catalyst...

[ce]2CH3CH2OH -> CH3CH2OCH2CH3 + H2O[/ce]

[ce]CH3CH2OH -> H2C=CH2 + H2O [/ce]

I think that works...

Cheers,

Ryan Jones