how can i make hydrochloric acid

dcstegg228

i read somewhere with vinegar and salt... but it seems unlikley and if its true.. iodized salt or un iodized slats?

No, that will not make HCl :)

Here are a few threads where this has been talked about before:

You may also want to try searching Woelen's site - lots of stuff there (Found here).

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

• 2 years later...

sulphuric acid and household table salt will make HCl, as for the carbonate, that`s just plain washing soda, but if you don`t have any, you can heat bicarb up, that will convert to carbonate.

• 2 months later...

you can either add common salt to sulfuric acid or you can form chlorine and hydrogen through electrolysis of salt water. you combust these together to make hydrogen chloride and you then bubble this through water to make hydrochloric acid

Some sink unblockers have HCl in them as I found out when one broke and went all over my hands, it is pretty dilute and would need purifying which could probably be done by make some of the other components precipitate.

As long as it didn't matter if it is rather impure that would get you some.

• 2 years later...
Guest tostosbe

I certainly wouldn't recommend it, for the following reasons :

1. The electrolysis itself is not trivial. You will need an adjustable 0-5V DC supply to get the right bias voltage.

2. The collection of the gases will be difficult. Hydrogen is a dangerous gas...it blows the hell up if activated in the presence of air. If you have any hydrogen floating around when you throw a switch (for instance, the one on your power supply), you are essentially setting off a bomb.

3. Chlorine is heavier than air (you will have to collect it over water, but it is partially soluble in water - coincidentally, making a very weak solution of HCl)), and poisonous. You do not want to risk ihnhaling it. If some leaks out of your collection system, it doesn't float away very fast.

4. Chlorine doesn't just "react" with hydrogen, it explodes. Like many other photochemical chain reactions, it is very tricky to control the rate of reaction.

• 2 months later...

hey i've been thinking about this too...

maybe adding H2SO4 to BaCl2 would produce HCl and solid BaSO4 as a precipitate, which could then be removed?

But BaCl2 is hard to come by.... perhaps adding NaCl to BaCO3 (from rat poison) would produce the BaCl2?

I'm quite new to this, so my apologies if this is awful chemistry. But would someone please tell me if there are any problems with this/if it is plausible?