MS Access Validation Rules

I have been given a task to come up with 4 different types of validation which I can implement into a database made in MS Access 2000. I know there are multiple ways of entering a validation rule (ie. Field Size or Input Mask) but for this task I need to do it in a specific way using the Validation Rule box, as shown in red below:

validationrule.jpg

I have only been able to think/make 3 such validation rules:

#) Type of check --- Validation Rule

1) Presence check --- Is Not Null

2) Range check --- Between 1 And 10

3) Length check --- Like "?????"

I can think of a few 4th different type of check, a picture/format check for example, the kind of thing you would normally put into Input Mask, however I cannot get this to work using the Validation Rule. I've tried using "LL00" and "LLNN" to represent two letters followed by two numbers, but it doesn't work.

If anyone knows a different type of validation check and how to make it work with the Validation Rule then help would much be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

How about is a valid date range, something like this:

>= #1/1/05# And <#1/1/07#

Other then that I'm not shure what you can do - thesethings are limited by the inital field type anyway...

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Nah, I made a genius validation rule like this:

<=DateAdd("yyyy",-18,Date())

It basically ensures that the date (this was a date of birth field) was older than 18 years... ie. the input DOB was older than 18.

Anyway, then I realised that was afterall just a type of range check, so no good.

I don't follow.

The "Is" function can only be followed by "Null" or "Not Null" in MS Access 2000 (when you type an incorrect validation rule beginning with "Is" a popup tells you this).

So what exactly do you mean and how do you write it?

Looking at that gives me some ideas... also I've just thought of something else which should work, I hope! I will have to try these out tomorrow and will post back here when I've tried them.

Thanks RyanJ.

Hmm, it's a shame that I don't have an email address in the database. I used a date format check by typing:

Like "*/*/*"

Where * is a wildcard and the / has to be typed. I guess that counts as a picture/format check.

Thanks a lot :)