Dogs Barking at Ghosts

NavajoEverclear

Why do dogs bark at things we cant see? I know most of you don't believe in invisible manifestations of deceased living things, so whats the explanation though. Really the reason i started this thread was to just ask about the dog thing (my dog was just barking at one when i took her outside to pee), but while i'm at it i'll ask some ghost questions. Of coarse theres plenty of discovery channel specials on electromagnetism found in haunted houses, and light orbs that only appear on special cameras and such--- what do you think about it? The dogs see something--- animals are the first to detect earthquakes and similar phenomenon (even before seismographs?), maybe its not ghosts or something like that, but it occasionally creeps me out when my dog is barking into air, and appears to be directing the hostility specifically to one place. Most of the time it doesn't bother me, just curious.

possibly sounds? I say this because my cats do a very similar thing, one in particular (the oldest female). she`ll jump ontop of the computer monitor and be looking at the door right behind me, and if I stand there it`s almost like she`s looking through me (a strange feeling). I know it`s based on sound though, she spends all her time in the lab and sits patiently until I come in or the wife feeds them. on saturdays, my wife goes out shopping, and I sit here in the lab working, for some reason, she will KNOW when my wife is in the lift coming back to the flat on the 13`th floor. yet all the time the she`s out, the lift is constantly going up/down for other residents here, but she`ll know when it my wife!?

she does this without fail, but if you didn`t know her as well as we do, you`de think it was very odd behavior to all of a sudden act this way. I recon it`s to do with sounds, so they turn their heads to get a better listen and stay fixed like that, giving the impression they`re seeing something and staring at it.

perhaps it`s the same for dogs?

Why do dogs bark at things we cant see?

Because they hear things we can't hear, and smell things we can't smell: i.e. the squirrel quietly feeding on the back wall, the cat lounging around in your bushes, the lizard on the fence, or the snake quietly making its way through your backyard.

Dogs have a more developed sense of hearing than humans. This is related to the length of cilia on hair cells in the ear. While humans can hear 20Hz-20KHz, dogs can hear higher frequencies. Response to storms is related to sensation of pressure (when a storm comes in, barometric pressure drops).