Annoying Myths

JustStuit

I thought it would be fun to make a thread of annoying myths. I'm sure everyone is annoyed by myths that the naive general public sometimes belief.

Ok some of mine:

There is no gravity in space (when the astronauts go up)

Humans only use 10% of there brain. (I guess this is debatable)

Seasons are caused by how far away from the sun earth is.

Creationism (I had to say it)

These are all I've heard people say and believe to be true. I bet everyone has heard some.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9/11 was caused by a US gov't conspiracy... I hate that one. It's way too close to home.

The holocaust didn't happen - just a stupid myth spawned by anti-Semetism, and fueled with ignorance and bigotry.

I am a female - this is very incorrect... I just have physical features that are slightly...well...enfeminate.

- "animal parts and organs will pass on the attributes of the animal to whoever consumes them." I know, not a particularly common myth, but my least favorite overall.

- "lightning never strikes the same place twice" I wonder how many meteorologists they went through to figure that one out

- "tarantualas are extremely poisonous" half the people I talk to think this :/

drinking vast amounts of water is good for you

I can never get a solid number for how much water the average person should be drinking... Most recently, I've heard one gallon.

Also, I read that senior citizens do not drinking enough water, which may lead to dementia.

I can never get a solid number for how much water the average person should be drinking... Most recently' date=' I've heard one gallon.

Also, I read that senior citizens do not drinking enough water, which may lead to dementia.[/quote']

There is a study (from ~70-80 years ago, IIRC) that says about 64 oz., which is where the "8 glasses a day" apparently comes from. But the study geos on to say that you get a large part of this from the food you eat, which is conveniently omitted in the saying.

I can never get a solid number for how much water the average person should be drinking... Most recently' date=' I've heard one gallon.

Also, I read that senior citizens do not drinking enough water, which may lead to dementia.[/quote'] I know athletes often fall victim to severely reduced salt levels because they flood their systems trying to remain hydrated.

Humans only use 10% of there brain. (I guess this is debatable)

It's really not. There is absolutely no way that statement can be remotely justified.

Here's some that haven't been listed yet:

- A dog's mouth is cleaner than a human's: I'm supposed to believe this when I see dogs eat shit?

- Daddy Long Legs is the most poisonous spider in the world (but has fangs so small it can't bite you!). Sorry, I believe that distinction goes to the funnel web spider or the brown recluse

- The Great Wall of China is the only structure visible from the moon/space. Well it's certainly not visible from the moon, and when you're close enough that you can see it from space, you can also see the pyramids and many other large structures.

- The Coriolis Force affects the water drains in toilets, sinks, etc: Damn you Simpsons for spreading this myth.

It's really not. There is absolutely no way that statement can be remotely justified.
i think they mean the only use 10% of the potential of their brain. that may be debatable, but i don't know a whole lot about neurobiology.