MUST

KILL

HAWKING

MUST

KILL

HAWKING

ps.

The Feynman Lectures on Physics.

Max: I just picked up Six Easy Pieces....and read half the first chapter standing up at Barnes. Thank you. Feynman is the man.

So lets see, that leavs Sagan for Astronomy, Feynman for physics, Dawkins for Biology....but who shall speak for Genetics.

S'cuse me Atinymonkey but you do know that ol' Watson and Crick could never (and I mean NEVER) have worked out the double helix if it wasn't for the sterling work (in X-Ray crystallography) carried out by Rosalind Franklin...whose results were given to Watson and Crick by Maurice Wilkins?

Sorry but I get totally pissed off when people completely ignore Rosalind Franklin's input...it was her data that gave Watson and Crick the clue to the puzzle and because she tragically died (of cancer) before the award of the Nobel prize she was not included. Ironically, it was possibly her exposure to radioisotopes during her studies that caused her cancer. Apparently she was a meticulous scientist (cut short in her prime) who would probably have gone on to make major contributions to the scientific world.

mm...hitchhiker's guide to the universe and hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, actually in the reverse order but I'm not about to retype that, was purely a humor book;) and humorous it was

I'm sure I was talking with someone else about it somewhere around here sometime ago..

Dudde said in post #15 :

mm...hitchhiker's guide to the universe and hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, actually in the reverse order but I'm not about to retype that, was purely a humor book;) and humorous it was

I'm sure I was talking with someone else about it somewhere around here sometime ago..

heh, must've been written by hawking eh MrL?

:P

daisy said in post #13 :

S'cuse me Atinymonkey but you do know that ol' Watson and Crick could never (and I mean NEVER) have worked out the double helix if it wasn't for the sterling work (in X-Ray crystallography) carried out by Rosalind Franklin...whose results were given to Watson and Crick by Maurice Wilkins?

Yup, and no one would remember Watson and Crick if Watson had not been a shameless self publicist. They just put odd bits of research together in a neat readable package. To get right down to it, few famous scientists were much more than well educated self publicists. Faraday is my favourite example. Doesn't really detract from the man though, or the message.

Well dispite my penchant for MAD magazine, here`s a book and an Author I find truly inspirational!, the religious fanatic on here wouldn`t like it (or at least not admit it) :)

"Man the Machine" by, Frank George,

ISBN: 0 586 08281 6.

Paladin original Granda publishing Ltd.

This book is a REAL thought provoker! A.I is not as impossible as some may think!

My all time favorite Author has to be Rudy Rucker (he`s also a lecturer) his fictional works are so awesome it beggers belief!

he`s a mathematician(sp?) also, and has writen many non-fiction books also, together with s/ware (mostly fractal based at last contact).

For anybody who enjoys Sci-Fi movies and having some basics presented but approaching the edge of theoretical science, this book is great.

Dragons Egg by Robert L. Forward

Neutron Star physics, gravity, time.

I think imagination drags us into scientific fact. The idea comes and the answer after and this book plants a lot of idea seeds.

Just aman