HCL+KNO3 to make HNO3?

[w00t]

A) people eat and drink from them, so it`s not a good idea.

B) with the exception of the coffee carafe they`re not designed for local heating.

C) because they hold a large amount of liquids, Any problems that occur will be significantly harder to deal with.

anywho, i got my flask and filled up it up with 46% h2so4 (battery acid) up to 250ml, its been under gas fire heat (bubbling also) for about 1 hour now, but it havent reduced in ammount, or have i noticed "white fumes"

• 4 years later...

hmm... I don't think that'll work considering that both of the reactants are ionic and completely soluble in water. Basically, if you mix the two, you'll just have a solution of H+, Cl-, K+, and NO3- ions floating around so to speak. And I don't think that there's a way to separate both the Cl- AND K+ ions from the solution either. I suppose you could remove the Cl- by adding AgNO3 which would form a solid AgCl which could then be filtered, but I don't think there's an effective way of removing potassium ions.

As a matter of facts, I actually pulled of this exact reaction just the other day. I wanted to make KCl by mixing 30% w/w hydrochloric acid, with solid KNO3. This resulted in an endothermic reaction, producing the ions you also mention in the above postulate (K⁺, Cl⁻, NO3⁻ and H3O⁺).

However, it is possible to seperate the KCl by recrystallization. I reacted 100mL 30% hydrochloric acid with 83g of powdered potassium nitrate, yielding about 45g of crude KCl after crystallization.

I don't know though, what the complete reaction should look like! Under the reaction I found that nitrogen gas was produced as well, but what actually remains in the mother liquid, I don't know...:| Maybe, it is a weak solution of "aqua regia"?

regards

The following reaction occurs, when nitric acid and hydrochloric acid are mixed. This also explains, why aqua regia needs a 1 : 3 molar ratio of HNO3 and HCl.

HNO3 + 3HCl --> ONCl + Cl2 + 2H2O

The precise reaction is much more complex, the equation above only is a net equation.

If you heat a mix of HNO3 and HCl (or KNO3 and HCl), then you'll see that the liquid becomes yellow, or even orange. That yellow/orange color is the color of NOCl. At high concentrations of HCl this is stable. At lower concentrations of HCl it hydrolyses:

ONCl + H2O <--> HNO2 + HCl

Hey! Thanks for this reply dude.. really helped me out a lot! I got to a pale yellow liquid after adding aqeous HCl to KNO3.. I wanted to produce KCl, which I also did.. I used slow heating during the crystallizationprocess.. When combining hydrochloric acid with potassium nitrate, an endothermic reaction occurs, and N2 is released.. as long as no heating is applied, I think you would be in the 'safe zone' here:)

Regards

• 10 months later...

Good day. Does anybody know how to clean the KCl after it was cristalized out of the solution? My KCl is pale yellow, since it have HCl and HNO3 contamination a byproduct of mixing HCl and KNO3 and since I am going to use in the further reaction I want to make as clean as possible(or at least without HCl and HNO3).

Thank you.