Cool Facts

herpguy

Water is the only compound known to be less[/i'] dense as a solid then a liquid.

I think that's wrong. I've read somewhere that solid plutonium will actually float on liquid plutonium due to solid plutonium being less dense. Someone confirm this?

I think that's wrong. I've read somewhere that solid plutonium will actually float on liquid plutonium due to solid plutonium being less dense. Someone confirm this?

Afraid not, at room temperature Plutonium has a density of 19.816 g/cm3 and at its melting point its density is 16.63 g/cm3. Solid Plutonium is denser than liquid Plutonium.

Although I do not agree with the statement too, its one of only a few known that their solid states will float on the liquid form, there are otherss I just can't remember the names!

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Its a fact, its already being tested as such and is therefor a fact.

The cold virus is not a single virus, but there are many different forms that are constantly mutating. I wish we could fight it, but there is no simple way to combat this. What is this research you speak of? Please provide a source.

The cold virus is not a single virus, but there are many different forms that are constantly mutating. I wish we could fight it, but there is no simple way to combat this. What is this research you speak of? Please provide a source.

What do you mean what research? Science magazine covered it in last months issue :S Not only that its part of the Cancer fighting research and viral biochemical research too.

And I know its not a single virus but the way they said it was a virus can mutate to fight the mutating virus.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

well, seeing as how I don't read science magazine, I couldn't have known that they published an article on it, could I?

So they're using viruses to fight the other cold viruses? That's what it sounds like you said.

well, seeing as how I don't read science magazine, I couldn't have known that they published an article on it, could I?

Good point.. :embarass:

So they're using viruses to fight the other cold viruses? That's what it sounds like you said.

Experimentaly they are thought he mutations of both the good and the bas strains are proving hard to keep tracks with and this they both end up becomming quite ineffective soon... thats one problem that needs to be ficed!

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Experimentaly they are thought he mutations of both the good and the bas strains are proving hard to keep tracks with and this they both end up becomming quite ineffective soon... thats one problem that needs to be ficed!

Cheers' date='

Ryan Jones[/quote']

:confused: :confused: :confused:

How do you use one virus to fight off another? Viruses can't infect eachother (although one viruses RNA has been found to 'hitch hike' with a pox virus). Bacteriophages can theoretically be used as a theraputic for bacterial infections though...

Considering viruses complete their life cycle by hijacking your own cellular machinery and using it for their own benefit, and considering the fact that if a cell recognizes it is infected with a virus it will sucide (assuming the infected cell isn't killed by your immune system first), and also considering that infected cells can have up to 1 million viral particles inside them, oh yeah and also considering the fact that for some virsues the only way they can get out of the cell after assmbly is by blowing it up, what exactly is a 'harmless' virus?

Also viri isn't a word pertaining to multiple virus particles - its viruses.

A few cool facts-

One of the microbes used to make yogourt is also present as part of the normal flora of the human vagina.

Bacteria and other intestinal microbes may consititue up to 50% of the mass of fecal material.

Considering viruses complete their life cycle by hijacking your own cellular machinery and using it for their own benefit, and considering the fact that if a cell recognizes it is infected with a virus it will sucide (assuming the infected cell isn't killed by your immune system first), and also considering that infected cells can have up to 1 million viral particles inside them, oh yeah and also considering the fact that for some virsues the only way they can get out of the cell after assmbly is by blowing it up, what exactly is a 'harmless' virus?

The article did say that a virus could hijack another virus - don't ask me how but I'm just quoting what was said - it did say instead of injecting RNA that makes it replicate new viruses, it just screws up the system totally.

A harmless virus is one that does no damage to the host cell, just because the ones that evolved do does not say anything about what a genetically modified one can do assuming we can get the technology to program them.

Alchemists were trying to find a magic formula that could turn any metal into gold, they fauled but they discovered many elemements in the attempts.

There can be no such thing as a perfect vaccum nor can a temperature reach or go below absolute zero.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

The sahara desert has its own antelope that takes all the water it needs from its food and does not need a waterhole to survive.

Mercury's day time temerature is 430 deg C enough to melt lead and its atmosphere is so thin that it loses all heat in night when temp are -180 deg C

The amount of energy produced by sun in a fraction of a second is more than what can be produced by burning all Earth's natural reserves of oil, coal, wood and natural gas

source : nuclear fusion in Sun

Clorophyll for producing oxygen in leaf is exactly same in structure as hemoglobin of our body that absorbs oxygen

the only difference is of Mangnese in former and iron in latter

Source : Photosynthesis

Glucose is cellulose reversed one is edible other is not

Source chemistry of wood

The amount of energy produced by sun in a fraction of a second is more than what can be produced by burning all Earth's natural reserves of oil' date=' coal, wood and natural gas

source : nuclear fusion in Sun

Clorophyll for producing oxygen in leaf is exactly same in structure as hemoglobin of our body that absorbs oxygen

the only difference is of Mangnese in former and iron in latter

Source : Photosynthesis

Glucose is cellulose reversed one is edible other is not

Source chemistry of wood

i think its magnesium not manganese in clorophyll

Wood's metal is a fascinating alloy composed of

Bismuth, Cadmium, Tin and Lead with a melting temperature of only 158 degrees F... it melts in hot water... and solidifies as quickly at room temperature. It's also pretty light. An eight inch stick weighs only about a quarter of a pound!

I trust your knowledge, but all the same, sources make me trust it just that much more :) .

The highest temperature ever achieved in a lab is 510 million degrees celsius (that's thirty times hotter than the center of the sun) at the TFTR in Princeton, NJ.

Source