center of earth...

wstrege

It was you who said there´s relevant gravitational force at the center of earth if I´m not mistaken. I simply told you that it isn´t true and you were fighting about that statement for the last posts. The flaw in the original post has already been pointed out in my first post here (being: No net gravitational force doesn´t mean no pressure).

I think it´s a bit unfair to accuse me of bringing this thread off-topic. I agree with wstrege´s assumption that there´s no net gravitational force at the center of earth while from what I understand from your posts you didn´t seem to agree. How is a discussion about this off-topic? It´s a fundamental pillar of wstege´s reasoning (even though his last step is flawed).

But if you really feel this doesn´t belong here, feel free to PM me if you think any further conversation between us is nessecary. For the question whether there´s relevant gravitational force at the center of earth, I´l shut up now.

Nope.

Just because there´s no gravitational force working you can´t conclude that there´s no pressure. Spacecrafts would be a very unhealthy place if there was no pressure in them' date=' for example. In the case of spacecrafts the pressure is due to the walls that won´t let the air escape into void. In the case of your earth core it´s the mass around the center of earth (which experiences a gravitational force) that excerts pressure on it.[/quote']

eh thanx Atheist! this is the first helpful thing on here to point me in a direction i hadn't thought of. though i think the analogy comparing the mass at the center of the earth and air inside a sealed container is flawed somehow, i have nothing to contradict that explanation...yet :)

Remember that the center of your spherical object is a single point that has no dimension to it. So your body simply could not exist in the 'center' of the area as your head would not be at the center, nor would your legs. They'd be pulled towards the center of the planet that you were stuck in and compress you into nothingness. Inside the Earth, the center is solid because in a sense there is no 'physical' center. All those atoms that are one micron away from this 'center' will be pulled towards the center. The gravity of the earth just isn't strong enough to cause the atoms to fuse together. As a result, they just wind up pushing against each other towards this supposed 'center'.