Perspective

Duke

What do you mean look smaller.

This has too many assumptions.

If you stood an an infinitely white space, and I put an object you'd never seen before RIGHT in front of your face and 50 feet away.....

......You'd never know how far away each was.

The only reason you judge an objects size is:

1. You are familiar with the size this object SHOULD be at a certain distance

2. You are comparing how much of the background this object blots out.

This is why people say the camera ads ten pounds. Because your eyes look AROUND an object and can see more of the background BEHIND the object.

A camera does NOT have this depth, being only one eye - and thus it sees LESS of the background behind an object and the object looks slightly larger.

Make sense?

Thats an interesting answer. Usually people just say "because its further away" which makes no sense really. I think i've actually heard the white room thing before. Wouldn't the amount of background you can see behind the object be dependant on how small the object appears anyway?

it`s also to do with something called paralax(sp?).

a perculiarity of "stereo vision"

and example would be this; hold your index finger infront of your eyes and cover one ov them, focus on a object some distance away (maybe 10 foot away) block this object out with your finger.

now, keeping your head and finger perfectly still, uncover the 1`st eye and cover the second one, you`ll notice the object 10 foot away is no longer covered by your finger :)

it will apear to have moved.

now repeat the same thing but cover an object 100 foot away, you`ll notice the object you covered with your finger is now in full veiw and seems to have moved several feet (light years if you look at stars!

and that`s how we tell how big or distant an object is, of course the brain works all of this automaticly in nano seconds :)

couple that with the fact that relfected light off an object is radiant, the further away it gets, the less photons reach your eye, and so it apears smaller, that`s how Telescopes work, the big lens at the front, gathers a large amount of photons and then concentrates them to a small point, making things seem larger :)

hope this helps a little

you know I have a reasonably amusing and probably completely wrong answer to this but I'll post it later I don't have much time left here

and you know, does that mean everybody looks ten pounds more to me? not being able to see out of my right eye and all;)

Thank you for starting the thread duke, and thanks for the radical answers intelligence. Someone needs to invent a camera with two eyes, simulating our vision----- or would that not work because pictures are two dimenstional? Maybe someone needs to invent 3 dimensional pictures then--- and how would that be done? are hollograms really possible (if so would they be practical for use by your average jo), and what is a possible alternative to hollograms?

Invader Zim cost too much to make (3D/cell animation composite - quite expensive) compared to the ratings it was getting.

So blame Nik for keeping the audience small.

You can find the 6 or so unscreened s2 episodes on eMule but they're still difficult to get. Kazaa is bursting with s1 episodes.

i didn't know it used any fancy type of animation (well now i recall certain instances that probably used special technology, but not anything any more advanced than all the other shows, and probably less than most actually)

Hohoho did anyone see the christmas episode? That was hilarious, i cant remember if i saw the whole thing myself, but i still remember how they turned santa clause into a monster and world dictator