traveller

It's a randomly selected number made notorious by a crappy deceased writer.

i usually agree with the posts you put....but in this case you are sadly mistaken. Douglas Adams may have had little, if not no, factual information.....this means nothing.....the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is a hilarious book that was made purely for the entertainment of the readers.....

i usually agree with the posts you put....but in this case you are sadly mistaken. Douglas Adams may have had little, if not no, factual information.....this means nothing.....the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is a hilarious book that was made purely for the entertainment of the readers.....

Don't put words in my mouth - I did not say that HGTTG is a bad book; I said Adams was a bad writer. Having read everything he has written, and having read a vast library of diverse literature against which to compare his work, it's not like I just pulled that out of my ass.

He may have written an enjoyable and accessible book, but that does not make him a good writer.

His characters are shallow and one-dimensional, his plots banal and predictable, and his scenarios puerile. The only thing he was good at were throwing obtuse jokes at the reader quickly enough to keep up momentum, and coming up with ideas that were so stupid they were brilliant.

it does however beg the question whether or not that was all part of Genius?

Lets face it, he has Such a following and almost everyone`s heard of the "The Guide".

like or loathe his works, he DID have a certain working combination there :)

btw, there was a plot???? LOL :)

starship titanic I`ve not read, a few of the Dirk gentlys I have as well as Mostly harmless, the Long Dark tea-time of the Soul.

the Meaning of Liff (no typo made) co authored by John Lloyd was quite funny in places though :)

I also have THHGTTG Companion Guide too (a totaly different author though).

The Meaning of Liff is must read though :)