postulate concerning gravity

deamonstar

as I was contemplating the progression of time, I came to think that time does not move at all either forward or backwards or any which way that you might imagine. perhaps time exists at every moment... everywhere. this idea hit me when I was trying to factor in the expansion of the universe.

let's perform a thought experiment to give an anology...

imagine a circular pond of water that has the same depth at every point within (this will represent time, which remains unchanging in the absence of outside influence). drop a pebble into the exact center (this will represent the big bang). from this point a wave will propogate outwards (this will represent the expansion of the universe (for simplicity I will describe only a single wave) ).

this was the easy part to imagine. then I tried to imagine where gravity fits in. well, for there to be gravity, there must be a body which has mass. o.k. we all know this much; the greater the mass- the greater the gravity. but what exactly is gravity anyway? Einstein tells us that gravity is actually the curvature of space/time. this seems a reasonable enough explanation... but, how does gravity work? I figure that mass has an inherent tendancy to remain in one moment in time, while the force of the expansion of the universe tends to propell mass forward through time. this creates a resistance which causes space to curve around the body of mass (the degree of curvature depends upon the amount of mass that is trying to remain at a given point in time). perhaps Newtons' laws of motion also apply to the expansion of space where a body of mass is concerned (an object at rest tends to stay at rest and, a body in motion tends to stay in motion). in this case the body at rest is mass and the body in motion is space itself expanding.

this still leaves the question as to how gravity works to pull things in. let me explain. space is also trying to remain in one moment in time, yet the force of the big-bang is propelling space through time. as this expansion encounters mass (which is trying to remain in one moment in time) there arises a resistance between the expansion of space and the body of mass. this resistance curves space as the body of mass absorbs energy from the force of the expansion, thus slowing the rate of expansion in the local area of affect of the mass' tendancy to remain at a given moment in time. as the force of the expansion continues outward through time, the area of space around the body of mass falls behind in time... which gives us the curvature of space around this body of mass as the rest of space continues on its merry way forward through time unhindered by mass. this is not to say that the body of mass is not also being propelled forward in time, it is... only at a slower rate than the expansion of space. this creates a depression in time (much like in the manner of the model of the curvature in space where you place a heavy ball on a rubber sheet). this depression in time allows a smaller body of mass to be "attracted to" a larger body of mass becuase there is less resistance to the outward expansion of space near the larger body of mass (which is trying to remain at one moment in time)... thus allowing this smaller body of mass an easier way to remain in one moment in time... in other words, it will take the path of least resistance in its' attempt to remain at that moment in time.

now let's get extreme... consider a black hole. the mass of a black hole is greater than the resistance of the force of the expansion of space through time to such a degree that the black hole has actually been able to remain at one moment in time. this is at the event horizon only. since space and time interact, the event horizon allows space to remain at the event horizon while as you get further from the event horizon space will encounter less resistance (due to the mass of the black hole) to the force of expansion through time. this is how we can percieve time as "slowing down" as we get closer to the event horizon (or any other large body of mass for that matter).

thoughts, anyone?

• 4 weeks later...

I like your thought process. Following this analogy, it reminds me of Michelson and Morley's experiment to detect the "ether" of the surrounding universe. In this analogy, maybe the pool is the ether?

I don't want to get stuck on the analogy, but if there is resistance to the expansion of the universe by mass, then is there an equivalent drag coeeficient? Is there also a nonlinear "swirling" of space time beyond the mass, in the same way that one sees separation and distortion in a wind tunnel?

Just some thoughts.

This is much like my idea about temporal momentum.

Imagine time being like movement through a dimension, and everything has a tendency to keep the same velocity within the time dimension. That means there would have to be a force within the time dimension to propel us foreword. Could have been the big bang. At near light speed, time comes to a standstill. We, then, could be experiencing time at an unnaturally high speed due to our mass and movement through the universe. Perhaps momentum applies in ALL the dimensions at the same time and must be maintained.

Call it the Theory of the Unified Conservation of Momentum.

What about temporal flux? I've read a theory before about it, where time is merely a byproduct of the curvature of space-time, created by the big bang.

• 2 weeks later...
DHill said in post #5 :

then is there an equivalent drag coeeficient? Is there also a nonlinear "swirling" of space time beyond the mass

the drag coefficient is measured as the force of gravity. the 'swirling' is the source of angular momentum, which can be seen in all bodies with mass... from the atom to planets and solar systems, and galaxies and galaxy clusters.