Is Kissing Instinct?

No one really seems to have to teach another how to kiss, so is it instinctual, or is it just a way that people have found to express their love to one another that has no root in reproduction? I guess to find out this answer, I could find out if chimpanzees or other close relatives of the homo sapiens kiss.

I don't think we can always make an absolute distinction between instinctual and learned behavior. I believe that almost everything has some kind of genetic component and there are usually learned behavioral aspects as well. I imagine that kissing leans towards the learned behavior side of things. I’m guessing that there were a few tribes that didn’t kiss. Were Eskimos one of them?

I’m guessing that there were a few tribes that didn’t kiss. Were Eskimos one of them?
Swapping spit at 20 below can be dangerous. ;)

I remember reading that kissing was a holdover from infant behavior where the response to having a cheek stroked by the mother's breast was to start sucking in anticipation of being fed. Idk if there is any research to back that up.

i think it is somewhat instincual. think about how long humans have been "kissing"

Also, what i noticed is this: I have two dogs, male and female. The male (buddy) starts to kiss the female (kiva), and by kissing i mean licking her face intensly. Then he starts showing signs of arousal and often tries to mount her (although, she does'nt let him). The licking seems to be like foreplay. I just found that interesting how it seems to be a sexual thing in dogs, as with humans.

No.

The lips have many sensual nerves which will stimulate the brain. I think it is something that has become inheritied and made normal among people because of what it does, and it's popularity.

Which leads me to the question, if we were really never ever exposed to sex, would we know how to "do it"? I mean such a case doesn't apply because we are brought up in a society where well we can observe others.

If a test subject were to be raised in complete isolation, would he or she know what to do when meeting the opposite sex.

that's reproductive instinct. Human minds are different from animals in that human minds can supress their instincts and act in a more "civilized" manner. I'm sure that there would be some, if raised in isolation, that wouldn't be able to figure it out because they would try to figure it out instead of following instinct. The entire reason men are attracted to women and vise versa, is reproductive instinct.

IMO i would err on Instinctual behaviour,affection for strengthening the social bonding of groups.Kissing starts very early,infants are kissed constantly.

Regardless of sex,we all have kissed most members of our family unit.

Kissing's function as a precursor of sexual activity is a non sequitur.One can get too freudian here.You dont kiss aunt Mabels lushious ruby lips at christmas,have a release of endorphins as you imagine how lovely her labia must look!! Do you??

Noticing males also can have fuller lips,Uncle george just doesnt do it for me! :P

i do not think it is instictive because not all human populations pratice it in anyform, i read before that some Amerindians were confused by its meaning and simply saw it as unhealthy, calling Europeans a word that ment "Dirty Mouths" as to their frequency in kissing, i do not remember the term

This is the most interesting form of "kissing" i've heard of as recorded by Darwin in Malaysia

"The women squatted with their faces upturned; my attendants stood leaning over them, laid the bridge of their noses at right angles over theirs, and commenced rubbing. It lasted somewhat longer than a hearty handshake with us. During this process they uttered a grunt of satisfaction."

if we were really never ever exposed to sex, would we know how to "do it"? .

Good question. The first thing Adam said to Eve was....."Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets". But not sure if he knew what to do with it.

• 4 weeks later...
Also' date=' lip-to-lip contact is seen as a social and pair bonding ritual in chimps and bonobos, including wild ones.

Mokele[/quote']

Most ( I dare say all when observing the "basics" ) of our pair-bonding behaviour can be observed in the primate world. Its pretty neat.

I know that in 14th 15th and 16th century Europe, family members were inordinately kissing, and even on the mouth, what today we would consider sexual. No one today kisses their sister's or brothers on the mouth in the same fashion they would their girlfriend/boyfriend.

I have no idea the origin of early kissing or the natural behavior process, but I do know that we (humans), like animals, if were shut away from any form of civilization, would know what to 'do' when we were introduced the opposite sex. It is a natural urge and behavior that we can't get around. There are certain instincts that humans are born with, and they are unquestionable and often unaided, they just come with life. i.e eating, sleeping, emotion, mating. unavoidable.

I know that in 14th 15th and 16th century Europe' date=' family members were inordinately kissing, and even on the mouth, what today we would consider sexual. No one today kisses their sister's or brothers on the mouth in the same fashion they would their girlfriend/boyfriend.

[/quote']

Angelina Jolie

Vaughn Bryant Jr., professor and head of the anthropology department in Texas A&M, said in a Chicago Tribune article, that the first erotic kiss was exchanged about 1500 B.C in India. Prior to that time, there is no evidence: (clay tablets, cave paintings or written tablets) that indicate the history of the kiss. http://www.datingmatchmakers.com/kissing/

Prior to 1500 B.C., perhaps civilization was more apt to keep that part of their mating ritual "between the sheets" so to speak??

I believe kissing is behavioral/learned...if it feels good, do it.

I wouldn't walk up to a stranger and plant one on him/her. Nor do I feel an urge/instinct to re-kiss a "sloppy kisser".

Vaughn Bryant Jr.' date=' professor and head of the anthropology department in Texas A&M, said in a Chicago Tribune article, that the first erotic kiss was exchanged about 1500 B.C in India. Prior to that time, there is no evidence: (clay tablets, cave paintings or written tablets) that indicate the history of the kiss. http://www.datingmatchmakers.com/kissing/

Prior to 1500 B.C., perhaps civilization was more apt to keep that part of their mating ritual "between the sheets" so to speak??

I believe kissing is behavioral/learned...if it feels good, do it.

I wouldn't walk up to a stranger and plant one on him/her. Nor do I feel an urge/instinct to re-kiss a "sloppy kisser".[/quote']

How do you account for it being cross-cultural like smiling, laughing, frowning, and the mad face? Its called genetics, I dont see how it is a learned procedure. In fact, even some mammals that are not primates share certain facial expressions with primates, harking back to a common ancestor long ago that passed these instinctual processes to us. Notice the Dog... When it is frightened its face retracts and its ears press back. Same thing in a frightened human. Now an aggressive dog. The aggressive dog will bring its face forward and press its features towards the opponent. Same thing in a mad human.

Its most likely since writing was done by hand for a very large part of our written history, writers simply had better things to do then write about kissing since it was so common place. I am not saying that writings with kissing in it was not written, but the rareness of such writings and the likelines of them surviving to this day is obvious.

The reason you dont just walk up and kiss anyone is because its an important part of pre-copulation behavior when two persons are forming a pair-bond. Since romantic kissing has to do with pair-bonding, its unlikely you would want to kiss everyone you see. In fact, you would be choosy about your mate, as most people are.

Now here is a parting quote from "The Naked Ape."

"If you ever have occassion to be embraced by a friendly chimpanzee, the kiss that it may then apply to your neck will leave you in no doubt about its ability to deliver a tactile signal with its lips. For the Chimpanzee this is a greeting signal rather then a sexual one, but in our species it is used in both contexts, the kissing contact become particularly frequent and prolonged during the pre-copulatory phase."

There is not doubt in my mind the complex human animal has turned the greeting signal of our cousins into more advanced signals as we use them today, and is a legacy of our genes rather then our culture.

kissing in inherited knowlage, when young children were being wheened, before god invented blenders, in order to prevent choking mothers would chew the food then 'kiss' the babby and transfer the food.

dogs and cats 'kiss' because they have scent glands at the side of there mouth and are showing familiarity.

what i would like to know is why do people have a prefered leaning side

How do you account for it being cross-cultural like smiling, laughing, frowning, and the mad face? Its called genetics, I dont see how it is a learned procedure. In fact, even some mammals that are not primates share certain facial expressions with primates, harking back to a common ancestor long ago that passed these instinctual processes to us. Notice the Dog... When it is frightened its face retracts and its ears press back. Same thing in a frightened human. Now an aggressive dog. The aggressive dog will bring its face forward and press its features towards the opponent. Same thing in a mad human.

Its most likely since writing was done by hand for a very large part of our written history, writers simply had better things to do then write about kissing since it was so common place. I am not saying that writings with kissing in it was not written, but the rareness of such writings and the likelines of them surviving to this day is obvious.

The reason you dont just walk up and kiss anyone is because its an important part of pre-copulation behavior when two persons are forming a pair-bond. Since romantic kissing has to do with pair-bonding, its unlikely you would want to kiss everyone you see. In fact, you would be choosy about your mate, as most people are.

Now here is a parting quote from "The Naked Ape."

"If you ever have occassion to be embraced by a friendly chimpanzee, the kiss that it may then apply to your neck will leave you in no doubt about its ability to deliver a tactile signal with its lips. For the Chimpanzee this is a greeting signal rather then a sexual one, but in our species it is used in both contexts, the kissing contact become particularly frequent and prolonged during the pre-copulatory phase."

There is not doubt in my mind the complex human animal has turned the greeting signal of our cousins into more advanced signals as we use them today, and is a legacy of our genes rather then our culture.

Like I said, I believe it to be learned. That is simply my opinion. :)

1. Researchers on all sides of the behavioral genetics debate emphasize that the link between a gene and a behavior is not the same as cause and effect. Bottom line: a gene does not make people do things. It doesn't code for emotions or thoughts. It may not even turn on or off without an instruction from its surroundings. Instead, a gene may trigger a whole cascade of biochemical events in the body, interact with environmental and developmental influences, and - together with these - increase the likelihood that you'll behave in a particular way.

http://www.dnafiles.org/about/pgm2/topic.html#overview

2. An important theoretical perspective of primate behavior is presented by sociobiology. This interpretation is based on the premise that natural selection has acted upon behavior patterns in the same way that it has acted on physical characteristics. This does not presume a genetic basis for certain behaviors, but rather that certain behaviors might lead to reproductive success. Some researchers have challenged this theory, yet many primatologists, as well as some anthropologists, see it as a potential explanatory mechanism for some aspects of both primate and human behavior.

http://wps.prenhall.com/hss_scupin_globalanth_5/0,8043,878150-,00.html

3. Primates often engage in various kinds of affiliative behavior, such as kissing, hugging, and social grooming. This friendly behavior is coupled with a variety of displays of emotions, from greetings to warnings.

4. Bonobo sex life is divorced from reproduction and also serves the functions of pleasure and conflict resolution. Erotic contacts in bonobos includes oral sex, genital massage and intense tongue-kissing.

(Will follow up with article and website)

5. Human beings share between 99.7 and 99.9 percent of DNA. That should mean that if sexual behaviors were the result of genes we would have similar sexual interests.

Edit for quote tags