Oprah as a Presidential candidate

Ten oz

1 hour ago, EdEarl said:

I've no access to her shows, and when I did have access, I didn't watch her.

Politicians and actors have similar jobs, to make fantasy seem real.

That really shouldn't be a politician's job. 

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

I would say woo is sharing an untruth that you believe to be true, and lying is telling something you know not to be true. I think the presence or not of intent to deceive is the distinction.

I'm not sure she shares it for any reason other than to make money... at the very least she is very easy to deceive... 

11 hours ago, Thomasmariel said:

The presidency has already been claimed by a celebrity - Donald Trump - therefore it makes sense for Oprah to run

Since Trump announced he was running to now the news media has transformed into the pro/con Trump media. Trump receives more daily coverage than any politician I have ever seen. Even talk shows like Kimmel and Colbert devote there entire opening monologues to Trump. The impact is billions upon billions of dollars of free press and a political environmental where Trump can control the public narrative with a single tweet. Two years ago I very distinctly recall political conversations here in the U.S. centering around  things like what we should do regarding Assad in Syria, Russia in Crimea, contaminants in our drinking water, and etc. Today none of that stuff matters; no news but Trump news matters. Oprah Winfrey might be the only person considering running  who is famous enough to break Trump's media spell. I can't imagine CNN, FoxNews, MSNBC, or etc cutting away from a fiery panel discussing about Trump to cover some nuanced policy position Elizabeth Warren or Cory Booker released on their campaign sites. That is the one  thing, the only thing, I like about a potential run by Oprah; she would get equal time which means democrats would finally get equal time. If Oprah and Trump were both giving live speeches at the same time some networks would go with Oprah over Trump and the ones which don't would discuss her speech soon as Trump finishes. 

• 5 weeks later...

"President Donald Trump described Oprah Winfrey as "very insecure" and accused her of "biased and slanted" after an interview on CBS's "60 Minutes" that addressed his presidency."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/19/politics/trump-oprah-60-minutes-tweet/index.html

As a rule of thumb Trump has a history of going after those he perceives as a threat or challenge to him. In the Primary he was most aggressive against Bush, Rubio, and Cruz but mostly ignored Kasich and Carson. Trump was highly critical of Clinton (still is) but never criticized Sanders. So think think it is worth paying attention to that Trump has chosen to get after Oprah.