New compound francium/fluorine

Rick_Rocks67

I've been interested in two elements for a long time, those being, francium and fluorine. If your and bit familiar with these elements then you'd know already that they're a perfect match when you compare their valance electrons.. Now I have been out of college for a little, but from what I can remember, francium having one valance electron should connect with fluorine having seven. Sense they're both extremely volatile or reactive, especially fluorine, and the more energy released between two elements when they fuse means francium and fluorine should be practically inseparable.. At least I'd hope honestly I'm clueless, any thoughts?

9 minutes ago, Rick_Rocks67 said:

I've been interested in two elements for a long time, those being, francium and fluorine. If your and bit familiar with these elements then you'd know already that they're a perfect match when you compare their valance electrons.. Now I have been out of college for a little, but from what I can remember, francium having one valance electron should connect with fluorine having seven. Sense they're both extremely volatile or reactive, especially fluorine, and the more energy released between two elements when they fuse means francium and fluorine should be practically inseparable.. At least I'd hope honestly I'm clueless, any thoughts?

As you can see on this page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotopes_of_francium

The longest living isotope of Francium has half-life just couple minutes..

If you will manage to make 1 kg of Francium, if you will be lucky, after 22 minutes you will 500 grams, after 44 minutes you will have 250 grams, after 1h you will have 125 grams, and so on, so on..

Edited by Sensei

1 hour ago, Rick_Rocks67 said:

Sense they're both extremely volatile or reactive, especially fluorine, and the more energy released between two elements when they fuse means francium and fluorine should be practically inseparable..

Francium would be a metal, if you could get enough to find out. It would not remain solid for long though because of  the heat created by its radioactive decay. Its boiling point isn't known with any precision but I don't think it would be much different from the other alkali metals (about 1,000ºC ?) so I don't think it would count as volatile. I would imagine NaF would be the stablest of the alkali metal fluorine salts.