What does it take to create a planet?

39 minutes ago, beachbaby said:

What if we were able to build mini-Earths and have them orbit around our planet Earth... How could we achieve this? All ideas, any ideas would be very helpful. Thank you.

Mini Earths? Mini Earths could not keep an atmosphere and so could not be mini Earths. Are suggesting enclosed habitats? 

3 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

Mini Earths? Mini Earths could not keep an atmosphere and so could not be mini Earths. Are suggesting enclosed habitats? 

Sure, enclosed habitats would be fine. But is there a way that we could make an artificial atmosphere? I'm really interested in any possibility of making this mini earth. What ever it would take.

4 minutes ago, beachbaby said:

Sure, enclosed habitats would be fine. But is there a way that we could make an artificial atmosphere? I'm really interested in any possibility of making this mini earth. What ever it would take.

As long as it's enclosed we can fill it with soil, water, and air. Pipe in sunlight and then spin it for artificial gravity. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O'Neill_cylinder

My personal choice is a rotating torus but the principle is the same.. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_torus

Edited by Moontanman

8 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

As long as it's enclosed we can fill it with soil, water, and air. Pipe in sunlight and then spin it for artificial gravity. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O'Neill_cylinder

My personal choice is a rotating torus but the principle is the same.. 

Oh very interesting. The rotating torus sounds like a good strategy. Do you know where I could research how to build this? and what about the sunlight. This is very new ground for me and is something I got curious about. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

Oh very interesting. The rotating torus sounds like a good strategy. Do you know where I could research how to build this? and what about the sunlight. This is very new ground for me and is something I got curious about. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

The wiki links i posted would be a way to start but if you want the info faster you might want to watch this guys videos. This one addresses that very topic.

1 hour ago, Moontanman said:

The wiki links i posted would be a way to start but if you want the info faster you might want to watch this guys videos. This one addresses that very topic.

Wow this is really informational and helpful. Thank you for sending! Just to be clear, there are no thoughts on how we can recreate a mini big bang and start a planet with its own resources that creates its own life while creating an artificial sun for it. And then possibly accelerating the planets growth process somehow to make it less primitive...

1 hour ago, beachbaby said:

Wow this is really informational and helpful. Thank you for sending! Just to be clear, there are no thoughts on how we can recreate a mini big bang and start a planet with its own resources that creates its own life while creating an artificial sun for it. And then possibly accelerating the planets growth process somehow to make it less primitive...

No, not as far as I know, creating a mini big bang seems extreme. If you wanted another planet and you had the energy reserves for that you could do much better than mini earths. A dyson swarm would allow you to support trillions of people, no new technology really required, just lots of money and time.. 

Edited by Moontanman

15 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

No, not as far as I know, creating a mini big bang seems extreme. If you wanted another planet and you had the energy reserves for that you could do much better than mini earths. A dyson swarm would allow you to support trillions of people, no new technology really required, just lots of money and time.. 

Gotcha, any ideas on the cost for this thing? everyone just keeps saying that it is a phenomenal amount of money, but no estimated numbers...

Gotcha, any ideas on the cost for this thing? everyone just keeps saying that it is a phenomenal amount of money, but no estimated numbers...

Depends really on how fast you want to do it, but once you have the infrastructure in place the actual habitats should be relatively reasonable. There is no way to estimate not knowing what type of economy we will have when we start building a dyson swarm. I can see small groups or even individuals owning smaller tori to whole nations owning larger ones. Maybe they will have a used habitat lot like a used car lots we have now... 

15 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

Depends really on how fast you want to do it, but once you have the infrastructure in place the actual habitats should be relatively reasonable. There is no way to estimate not knowing what type of economy we will have when we start building a dyson swarm. I can see small groups or even individuals owning smaller tori to whole nations owning larger ones. Maybe they will have a used habitat lot like a used car lots we have now... 

In that case...Dibs on Day Old Donuts Inc.

1 minute ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

In that case...Dibs on Day Old Donuts Inc.

It is an odd thing to think about, used habatat lots, repo an old one or trade one in one a fancier model. Expose the inside to vacuum and sterilize it... Do you know of any reason the OP can't post here anymore? 

Just now, Moontanman said:

I wonder if the library would have it? 

I actually rescued my copy from a bunch of books that were being withdrawn from a library back in the mid-eighties.   So it would depend on whether any libraries have held on to their copies and not withdrawn them.  I also have a college physics text book printed in 1916 and copyrighted in 1910, and a 1936 textbook on Atomic Physics. Both were withdrawn from our State Library.

33 minutes ago, Janus said:

I actually rescued my copy from a bunch of books that were being withdrawn from a library back in the mid-eighties.   So it would depend on whether any libraries have held on to their copies and not withdrawn them.  I also have a college physics text book printed in 1916 and copyrighted in 1910, and a 1936 textbook on Atomic Physics. Both were withdrawn from our State Library.

It's been prepared and released by NASA for the internet: Space Settlements: A Design Study (Table of contents)

Edited by StringJunky

1 hour ago, Janus said:

WOW! I like old books too, I don't have any rare ones but i still have my high school geometry book. I reference when ever i have to figure volumes and distance.. 

35 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

It's been prepared and released by NASA for the internet: Space Settlements: A Design Study (Table of contents)

Interesting link, it is somewhat dated but information is always important. I wonder how much of an actual game changer things like Carbon fiber, nanotubes or graphene would be? 

3 hours ago, Janus said:

Dang I only have a 1912 physics textbook lol

15 hours ago, StringJunky said:

That's what what I was originally looking for, an internet version of the book.  I knew that it had been printed and that I had owned a copy,  but wasn't sure at first if I still had it. (Due to limited room, I've been forced to down-size my book collection from time to time.) .  I came across the Amazon listing first, and when I saw how much it was going for, I got sidetracked and had to physically search through my bookshelves. As it turns out, it had survived the purges.