Transferring bookmarks to favorites...

Externet

Hi.

Managed to 'export'  Ubuntu Linux Firefox 'bookmarks ' as html file and saved to a USB drive.

Copied that USB drive html file to the desktop of a Windows 10 machine as intended recipient for its Internet Explorer 11 'Favorites'  folder.

There is no Firefox browser in the Windows 10 recipient machine.

Trying to delete all current Favorites in the recipient Windows 10 machine, got a bunch of hurdles and convoluted complications.  Couldn't.

I beg idiot-proof guidance to manage that Win10 machine to do things; deleting all its current 'Favorites' and then transferring the intended files, if it is possible to put the Firefox bookmarks into the Explorer's Favorites folder.  Other times I tried got a message  'Not all files were transferred successfully'  and files/folders that were not missing were in disarray.

When looking for pertinent internal help files to do things in the Win10 machine, comes with stubborn messages  'You are not connected to the Internet' and tries to fix that instead.  Which is not the point. When I found the IE11 Favorites folder; see no way to empty it/delete all its contents.  Am ready to throw up on the Win10 machine.

Trying to delete all current Favorites in the recipient Windows 10 machine, got a bunch of hurdles and convoluted complications.  Couldn't.

They are stored under C:/Users/Username/favourites . Just navigate to the folder and shift + delete everything.

if it is possible to put the Firefox bookmarks into the Explorer's Favorites folder.

It works perfectly fine for me just click import from the menu bar and follow the instructions. You might run into trouble porting the favourites from Linux though so I would download firefox on the windows machine and sync the favourites from the internet. Of course if you could also install the Linux version of firefox on the windows 10 machine and use that.

Edited by fiveworlds

Thanks, fiveworlds.

The 'import from another browser' option is greyed out :

image.png.555551adb9ce2c813557d1df6ead55a4.png

What I cannot discern is if

- It is greyed out (disabled) because of a wrong setting somewhere, or

- Because that option is intended only when the 'another browser' is resident in the same machine which is not the case.

- To my little brain, being on a file coming from another browser is still coming from another browser and some disabled? translator could be needed to include it on IE11.

The ' import from a file'  choice previous result was partial and disarrayed. 

It is greyed out (disabled) because of a wrong setting somewhere, or

Yeah it is greyed out on my computer too. It is most likely because internet explorer isn't really updated anymore (last update was in 2014) so your other browsers are newer than internet explorer recognizes as real.

Microsoft edge should recognize them however and uses the same favourites location as internet explorer. The import option is under settings in from the top right dropdown menu.

Edited by fiveworlds

Thanks for your effort, fiveworlds, but let you down.  :(Unable to transfer all the files. Tried a couple more variants/times, only about half of Firefox bookmarks show up on IE11, same as before.

On various help forums, found several entries for the same complain of incomplete transfers, and searching if there is a limit? in 'Favorites' files size, an inconclusive answer from Microsoft derailing the question. ¿?

I can almost bet the greyout in your compfuser  is because you use no other browser in it, just like mine...