rust stain

akcapr

theres a big rust stain on my carpet, is there a chemical that could oxidize the iron oxide to a colorless form or something?- without hurting the the color of the structure of the carpet itself

i have a shirt that is stained horribly with red iron oxide. So just apply lemon juice and let it sit and wash it out?

A really good way to remove iron oxide/rust stains is the use of oxalic acid, which is a very strong complex-former with iron (III) ions, while otherwise being _relatively_ mild.

First try with citric acid though, because oxalic acid is quite toxic. If that does not work, then try oxalic acid.

ya oxalic acid works pretty good

Indeed, but woelen is still my man. :D

If it was wood stained with ferric oxide, then you are my man too. :D

It is a shirt, that is why citrate complex should harmlessly do.

Any combination of a cation associated with molecules or anions containing unshared pairs of electrons.

The interaction can range from purely electrostatic to that approaching covalent character.

Metal Cation - The central metal atom in the complex

Ligand(s) – the anions or molecules involved in forming the complex with the central metal cation.

Ligand Atom – the particular atom involved in the interaction with the central metal atom.

Just like zincate?

May I know what the product is when the rust reacts with ethanedioic acid?

It is extremely difficult to predict the product without being a much more controlled reaction.

You may have anything from ferric oxalate hydrate to oxalato ferrum hydrate complex.

The colour ranges from yellow to green, and even polymerization is evident.

A much better defined complex double-salt is ferric ammonium oxalate, due to the masking of one acidic end of oxalic acid by the ammonium radical.

High polymers of ferric oxalate crystals can be found in kidney stones.

The most soluble form of the salt is a 1:2 ratio of ferric to oxalic, which forms when the acid is very diluted.

This solubility is retained at 1:3 ratio, but and fractional ratios else than those are undefined.

Here, this works great:

Dump some carbon powder onto the stain, and heat it all to a few thousand degrees and the carbon will reduce the rust to iron, then you can put out the smoldering embers your house has become and bask in the glow of a beautifullt de-rusted patch of melted carpet!

This reminds me of the one sin sinner lighting a candle and the two sin sinner lighting two.

When Bush J. went for confession, the priest was worried about burning down the church. :D