How to improve short term visual memory?

How can one go about improving visual memory. Some people seem to have really good visual memory and other people terrible visual memory. 

Some people can look at image or object and it like the image is well burn into their memory remembering every detail vividly!! Other people look at image or object and forget.

I did a  visual memory test and did terrible on the test. I had to look at image for about 10 seconds and recall detail and well I did bad.

Take look at the bird look at it for 5 to 10 seconds and recall as much detail!!

Take image like this bird light blue, dark blue, really dark blue and red so on.

www.vetbook.org/wiki/bird/images/8/83/Bird01.jpg

What happen to me was I was looking at image and not sure if it was light blue, dark blue or really dark blue and I forgot pink and yellow and other detail I forgot. Not sure how big it was at the back and side not sure on one of the shapes. This was terrible for me.

This got me thinking why are some people really good at visual memory and other people terrible at visual memory? Why do people have to stare at image to burn it into memory or look at it over and over to go into long term memory.

What can be done to improve visual memory?

• 1 month later...
On December 23, 2017 at 8:13 PM, StringJunky said:

Take up art and develop a mind's eye. Are you good at remembering blocks of words you've read or with numbers? It's all down to what you are used to doing.

On December 23, 2017 at 8:13 PM, StringJunky said:

Take up art and develop a mind's eye. Are you good at remembering blocks of words you've read or with numbers? It's all down to what you are used to doing.

No I'm not good at remembering word and letters.

Even made up letters say example  like TRCFTR  or DFRTD 

why Is that?

Does this sound like short term memory problem or visual memory problem I may have?

Edited by nec209

• 3 months later...

There are numerous factors involved in memory formation. Short term memory formation may be impaired for any number of reasons. To mind come dementia-like diseases like Alzheimer's and Drug abuse (including Alcohol and Pot). https://www.google.de/amp/s/amp.livescience.com/42891-short-term-memory-loss.html

The cited article is about memory in general, though the title specifically mentions short term memory. It suggests mnemonics as a technique to improve short term memory.

One of the most common suggestions for a better short-term memory is to use mnemonics. Mnemonics is the technique of attaching a word, phrase or image to an object.

It also suggests that stimulating the brain with all sorts of games e.g. Sudoku will improve short term memory. 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/alzheimers-disease/in-depth/memory-loss/art-20046326

Mentions Vitamin B12 deficiency and Hypothyroidism as additional possible reversible causes of (short term) memory loss. 

If your memory doesn't improve with training (aforementioned mnemonics, solving puzzles etc) to the desired extent, I recommend seeing a doctor