Differential equation solution when RHS is abstract

random_soldier1337

E.g. y'(x) + ay(x) = f(x) where a is a constant.

I know we basically get exp(ax), then equation becomes [exp(ax)y(x)]' = exp(ax)f(x). But since f(x) is abstract/not defined, I don't know how I would not get stuck with a recursive integral on RHS after trying to integrate.

Anyone know how to evaluate integral of exp(ax)f(x)?

Well, I see the procedure is different. However, looking up the particular solution to use would be easier if I actually knew what f(x) was. I am basically trying to solve for neutron population with a source term but the source function isn't known. I would hazard a guess as to exponential nature which seems most accurate but is there any reason to believe it would not be a polynomial?

Using "variation of parameters":  Given that y'+ ay= f(x), the "associated homogeneous equation" is y'+ ay= 0.  y'= dy/dx= -ay so dy/y= -a dx.  Integrating ln(y)= -ax+ C, y= C'e-ax

Now we look for a solution to the entire equation of the form y(x)= u(x)e-ax

Then y'= u'e-ax- aue-ax.  Putting that into the equation, u'e-ax- aue-ax+ aue-ax= u'e-ax= f(x).  u'(x)= eaxf(x) so u(x)= integral eax f(x) dx.  The general solution to the given differential equation is y(x)= C'e-ax+ e-ax(integral eax f(x)dx).