Topology

junaid shahzada

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

The Moebius Flask, which can have a liquid poured in, but cannot contain it as it pours out. The three-dimensional surface having volume but no inside or outside defined surface.

• th?id=OIP.DFW4yyF2MrwjwZ4DwpA-TwHaJO&pid

During the year I taught high school math in very rural Missouri, I calmed down several boisterous classes by predicting the results of cutting two strips of paper apart, which I explained would totally befuddle them. They listened, observed, disbelieved, then owed they would spring this on friends and family! The Moebius Strip.

• th?id=OIP.vBbe_pOLeF-cW4AXQlIOiAHaDC&pid
  • th?id=OIP.fzPyJa2Gnp6iL0ykdwWtowHaFg&pid

A strip of thin material, rolled into a cylindrical form, must present height, diameter, and volume. The strip if twisted first, such that it's inner and outer edges are reversed, when rolled into a cylinder, become a moebius solid having no inside or outside, nor presenting a viable volume.   imp

EDIT: Even more befuddling is the process of taking a moebius strip prepared of paper of reasonable size, about a foot in length, which is then pierced anywhere at it's center between edges, then cut with scissors completely around it's length to produce two (?) pieces. Worse, the strip pierced 1/3 of it's width away from one edge, then cut lengthwise continuously until separated into two (?)  pieces becomes.....?? Two new volumes, one a cylinder, the other a new moebius strip having TWO twists, AND they are of differing diameters!  Try it!   imp

Edited by tinkerer