JCVI-Syn3.0

jonnobody

I suppose I’ll get whacked from all sides on this one but I'll post it anyway – the JCVI-syn3.0 a form of synthetic genome transplanted into another (presumably not synthetic) cell was produced by over 20 scientists at the John Craig Venter Institute in 2010. It didn’t happen by accident, from nothing or by chance. Is this not a huge irony for all non-designists?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycoplasma_laboratorium

On May 21, 2010, Science reported that the John Craig Venter Institute had successfully synthesized the genome of the bacterium Mycoplasma mycoides from a computer record, and transplanted the synthesized genome into the existing cell of a Mycoplasma capricolum bacterium that had had its DNA removed. The "synthetic" bacterium was viable, i.e. capable of replicating billions of times. Scientists who were not involved in the study caution that it is not a truly synthetic life form because its genome was put into an existing cell. It is estimated that the synthetic genome cost US$40 million to make and took 20 people more than a decade of work.[b

7 minutes ago, jonnobody said:

Is this not a huge irony for all non-designists?

Why?

And what is a "non-designist"? I assume it is a term used to refer to someone not gullible enough to be taken in by superficial appearances. Is that right?

19 hours ago, Strange said:

Why?

And what is a "non-designist"? I assume it is a term used to refer to someone not gullible enough to be taken in by superficial appearances. Is that right?

A non-designist is anyone who thinks/believes that the universe and life on earth does not have a designer of any kind behind it all and it all happened by accident/chance/from nothing

18 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

No, it isn't  ironic at all.

Irony - "a technique of indicating an intention or attitude opposite to that which intended"  or  "an outcome of events contrary to what was, or what might have been expected"

So how is it not an irony?

3 hours ago, jonnobody said:

A non-designist is anyone who thinks/believes that the universe and life on earth does not have a designer of any kind behind it all and it all happened by accident/chance/from nothing

Yep. That's what I said. A sane person capable of critical thinking, in other words.

So how is it not an irony?

Designing things is not irony. I have spent my life designing things. No one ever told me I was being ironic.

Evolution/Abiogenesis isn't about it happening by chance or accident.

What doesn't reproduce or replicate dies out. You end up something that is really really good at it.

You can obviously duplicate the spaghetti code the process spat out. Why nobody really finds it ironic here. I'll find it cooler once they do it from scratch, but we're getting there.

There are issues with making a genome smaller(JCVI-syn3.0). Additional length provides a degree of redundancy and a repository for the future evolution.

Main issue with the 'designer idea" is that there are many cases where things could be better done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_poor_design#Fatal_flaws

You could make a point that the bad design is deliberate or stems from ineptitude, but that doesn't exactly inspire me to worship this being.