Processing fear

When a dangerous situation takss place, people (generally) react in a very predictable way  - they panic and completely lose ability to think clearly.

Is there a subgroup of people who naturally (without training) react the opposite way (slowed down heart and breathing rate, lower blood pressure, general relaxation)? OT more simply, a subgroup of population that finds situations most people find dangerous to not be dangerous at all or even pleasant?

Edited by Squawk 1200

1 minute ago, Squawk 1200 said:

When a dangerous situation takss place, people (generally) react in a very predictable way  - they panic and completely lose ability to think clearly.

Do they? I have heard a lot of accounts of people acting rationally, helping others, etc.

2 minutes ago, Squawk 1200 said:

Is there a subgroup of people who naturally (without training) react the opposite way (slowed down heart and breathing rate, lower blood pressure, general relaxation)?  

I'm sure, given the variety in humans, there are people who will flee and others who will stay to help others. I doubt there are many who will be completely chilled out by an unfolding emergency. Although, when I was training as a fire warden, we were shown a video of a major fie at a football stadium - as everybody rushed to escape as the flames spread and the structure was collapsing, one father just sat there calmly with his son. When everyone else had left, they got up and strolled casually out.

56 minutes ago, Squawk 1200 said:

OT more simply, a subgroup of population that finds situations most people find dangerous to not be dangerous at all or even pleasant?

Like Batman? I think there is a romantic notion that a non-reaction to fear is beneficial. It can seem like the opposite of cowardice.

Every person I've talked to about their combat experience say that fear keeps you sharp, so you should work with it rather than trying to smother it. Fear under control keeps you reasonable, and without it we're all apt to do stupid things.

2 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Like Batman? I think there is a romantic notion that a non-reaction to fear is beneficial. It can seem like the opposite of cowardice.

Every person I've talked to about their combat experience say that fear keeps you sharp, so you should work with it rather than trying to smother it. Fear under control keeps you reasonable, and without it we're all apt to do stupid things.

That's exactly why SM's details are not published because she is vulnerable.

17 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

That's exactly why SM's details are not published because she is vulnerable.

Pretty much the exact opposite of Batman. I definitely think this is one of those romantic fictional concepts, "the steely-eyed hero is immune to fear, and never lets his emotions keep him from doing what's right". The problem is, emotions can be pretty handy in a tough spot. Learning how to use them to best advantage, to blend them with the rest of your skills is harder to do than just eliminating them altogether, but worth it. 

"Ignore your fear" is the mantra of someone who is just about to be blindsided by something dreadful.

On 12/5/2017 at 11:22 PM, Strange said:

Do they? I have heard a lot of accounts of people acting rationally, helping others, etc.

On 12/5/2017 at 11:16 PM, Squawk 1200 said:

This would be a minority of people, usually those who are experienced with being in such dangerous situations. But majority would trigger the "fight or flight" mechanism and the hormonal cascade it entails tends to have some rather negative effects on cognitive abilities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fight-or-flight_response