Colcemid exposure

alesserfate

Hi guys,

Im not a microbiologist but a friend is and I was accidentally exposed to having colcemid enter my eyes while helping them in a lab. I read about itba little bit and about DNA fragmentation during cell replication it causes.. just wanted to ask if anyone would know whether this will have any health effects on me or my vision. Doctor prescribed some eye drops but eyes been hurting for a few days now and I'm getting kinda worried so am on a hunt for answers. MsDS only covers the toxicology part of the substance and not its microbiological side effects.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by alesserfate
Missed a word

Were you not wearing goggles? Prevention is always better than cure. If you're helping in the lab, better be sure you're 1. allowed to be there and 2. are complying with occupational health and safety rules. 

Why would the toxicology part of the MSDS not be what you are interested in? 

Regarding your medical question, go back to your doctor. We don't give that sort of advice here.

1) you need to have it documented by the PI of the lab and/or the responsible safety officer

2) toxicology is absolutely relevant and folks should have instructed you to this extent.

3) why are you wondering about microbiological aspects? You were not handling bacteria, are you?

Also, just as an additional note. An MSDS is generally something you should be reading prior to handling a chemical, not after. You should be performing some sort of risk assessment so you are aware of the dangers, and know how to prevent and handle any sort of spills or accidents. As CharonY mentions, this really is classed as an official incident, and needs to be reported and paperwork filled out by the appropriate channels.