Tempodynamics?

CarbonBasedOverlord

Is there such a thing as tempodynamics? Chronodynamics? I am interested in the dependencies of motion and time. If everything in the universe were suddenly still it would be indistinguishable from time stopping; time cannot be measured without movement, matter cannot transition without time passing. Does time need motion to advance?

Is there a field for these kinds of questions?

Thanks

The relationship between motion and time is described by the theory of relativity. In that, time is a 4th dimension for measuring the location of events in space-time. So it doesn't disappear or stop if there is no motion. But time is measured differently by people in relative motion.

6 hours ago, CarbonBasedOverlord said:

Does time need motion to advance?

This comes up regularly on the forum and all the reasons it is not the case are repeated!

You are right, Strange. You, me, and Albert Einstein agree time is a tool for measuring numerical order of change. In fact, a 2011 article on phys.org "Scientists suggest spacetime has no time dimension" only strengthens the argument by stating, "t has only a mathematical value, and no primary physical existence."

You are also right that this forum has addressed motion as an engine of time. In fact, Daniel Foreman argued convincingly in his 2012 Speculation thread "What it time? Does time even exist?" that, "time doesn't exist, only motion does," but Daniel has evidently lost interest in further discussions with this community and I have not found anywhere here or on the internet the refutation to which you refer. Can you please direct me to the reason time does not need motion to advance?

Thank you

44 minutes ago, CarbonBasedOverlord said:

You are right, Strange. You, me, and Albert Einstein agree time is a tool for measuring numerical order of change.

Neither I nor Einstein would agree with that.

45 minutes ago, CarbonBasedOverlord said:

Can you please direct me to the reason time does not need motion to advance?

I really can't be bothered to go over it all again. If you didn't understand/accept the previous arguments, then it would be a waste of time, anyway.

It’s perfectly ok to just say you don’t know. I didn’t expect you would and that’s why I was asking if anyone is studying this. 

I stand corrected. Only Albert Einstein and I agree that, “

Time has no independent existence apart from the
order of events by which we measure it.

I won’t include you next time. 

Thanks anyway