Wormhole?

I've seen the drawing of a hole dug through the center of earth, from one side to the other. The guy jumps in (it's always a guy?) shoots down to the center then up to the surface, then reverses. 

Okay, maybe it is too simple to be a worm hole, but assuming that a black hole is round, wouldn't it sort of kind of have to work the same way meaning that this distant part of the universe to be reached would have to be just on the other side of the black hole? The nature of the black hole says you don't get out the other side. Doesn't the nature of the black hole pretty much make it so you don't make it past the center? Do you need two black holes to have one wormhole? Still how do you get out at the distant universe? Assuming that the wormhole is theoretically possible?

Edited by jajrussel

You can't get out once you pass the event horizon. There's only inward from any direction you enter.

Other side is simply around it though. Most are massive but not big at all compared to something like a Galaxy.

Edited by Endy0816

3 hours ago, jajrussel said:

I've seen the drawing of a hole dug through the center of earth, from one side to the other. The guy jumps in (it's always a guy?) shoots down to the center then up to the surface, then reverses. 

Okay, maybe it is too simple to be a worm hole, but assuming that a black hole is round, wouldn't it sort of kind of have to work the same way meaning that this distant part of the universe to be reached would have to be just on the other side of the black hole? The nature of the black hole says you don't get out the other side. Doesn't the nature of the black hole pretty much make it so you don't make it past the center? Do you need two black holes to have one wormhole? Still how do you get out at the distant universe? Assuming that the wormhole is theoretically possible?

We have yet to confirm the existence or otherwise of wormholes, but certainly the equations of GR do allow for them.

Yes, a BH is a spherical shape, but unlike a sphere of matter like the Earth, if you are foolish enough to jump in, you will certainly become part of the mass that has originally formed the BH, and that exists at what we call the Singularity at the core.

And by the way, any bloke that jumps into a hole through the center of the Earth, will fall towards the center, and the energy he gains as he falls, will see him reach and go past the center core a short distance, fall back to the center and beyond in the direction he jumped in, and actually oscillate there for a short period of time, before settling down at the center.

If you have a look at a Penrose diagram for a rotating or charged Black Hole, there are certain time-like paths ( as opposed to space-like which involves superluminal speeds ) which lead back to normal space-time OUTSIDE the BH's event horizon.
Whether this 'outside' is in our universe or another, or even if this is a physical interpretation ( or not ), is anyone's guess

16 minutes ago, MigL said:

If you have a look at a Penrose diagram for a rotating or charged Black Hole, there are certain time-like paths ( as opposed to space-like which involves superluminal speeds ) which lead back to normal space-time OUTSIDE the BH's event horizon.
Whether this 'outside' is in our universe or another, or even if this is a physical interpretation ( or not ), is anyone's guess

Are you referring to matter/energy that may pass from a polar trajectory through the exact middle of a ring singularity? If not could you elaborate further on that?

35 minutes ago, Strange said:

There is a nice description and diagram here: http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/K/Kerr_black_hole.html

The Idea of wormholes in large stellar space comes from Einstein and Rosen , which is described like this, which comes from the Schwarzchild Metric, the Kerr Metric does not say that it happens the same way.

rosenbridge.jpg

Edited by Vmedvil

1 hour ago, Vmedvil said:

The Idea of wormholes in large stellar space comes from Einstein and Rosen , which is described like this, which comes from the Schwarzchild Metric, the Kerr Metric does not say that it happens the same way.

rosenbridge.jpg

Couldn't black hole just be an inside-out version if our universe, no throat connecting it to another, very isolated until it merges.

That's what I'd say, no matter can go into it,just the micro bh's in all matter. Space-time can go into it, the curtain of space-time gets reduced around the event horizon as it gets turned inside out. That's the mechanism for gravity (waves that contract space-time). If black holes aren't constantly absorbing micro black holes in the vacuum radiation, they decay rapidly as negative black holes form from the inside out matter-energy inside that event horizon.

Merging black holes & collisions with parallel universes looks exactly the same mathematically (the wormhole with a "throat" between p-branes as gravity pulling negative black holes [our universe & one parallel to it] together in anti de-sitter & vice versa for black holes/d-branes with our gravity pulling them together)as the wormhole metric your using in your model so I'm not stressing about where it differs from my ideas

Edited by SuperPolymath

2 hours ago, SuperPolymath said:

Couldn't black hole just be an inside-out version if our universe, no throat connecting it to another, very isolated until it merges.

Great speculative cosmology! I agree, at least its what I like to speculate also. But speculation at this time is all it is. We  have absolutely no reason at all to believe it does exist other then being one outcome of Einsteins equations, just as wormholes are. 

I saw a different diagram without all the math that looked like they had folded space then funneled up and funneled down. Apparently using two blackholes one for each funnel. Then I started wondering why bother with two blackholes if they are going to fold space. They only need one blackhole  that connects to each side of the fold. Then they no longer need the funnel shapes that allow you in but don't allow you out. All you need do is travel around the black hole to get to the distant space, which would be much shorter than following the fold, and a whole lot better than getting stuck in the middle. Not to mention the math would maybe be a lot easier..... Maybe...