Al Franken's funniest moment

waitforufo

41 minutes ago, Ten oz said:

He acknowledges that he made people feel bad, it is behavior that shouldn't happen again, and that as a result people have lost trust in him. That is a standard apology in my opinion. By default no apology good as they the aftermath of something bad. People would prefer the bad thing never happened at all and apologizes don't change that. Additionally the one apologizing is incriminating themselves which isn't a natural thing for anyone to do.

No, it wan't him it was " crowded and chaotic situations" that made people feel bad.  Al's says he is a warm person who hugs people and only a few sensitive type females felt bad. 

Any apology that does not include a genuine admission of guilt is not a real apology.  In fact such a non apology is simply a further insult.

Also Al Franken does remember forcing his tongue down Leeann Tweeden throat either.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/16/politics/franken-apology/index.html

"I certainly don't remember the rehearsal for the skit in the same way,

So no, Al Franken hasn't taken responsibility for any thing.

17 minutes ago, waitforufo said:

No, it wan't him it was " crowded and chaotic situations" that made people feel bad.  Al's says he is a warm person who hugs people and only a few sensitive type females felt bad. 

Any apology that does not include a genuine admission of guilt is not a real apology.  In fact such a non apology is simply a further insult.

Also Al Franken does remember forcing his tongue down Leeann Tweeden throat either.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/16/politics/franken-apology/index.html

So no, Al Franken hasn't taken responsibility for any thing.

He clearly states that he let down his state, colleagues, and those who expected him to be a champion for women's rights.  If he were denying that he did anything wrong then how exactly did he let them down? We can sit here all night going back and forth parsing his words from each individual one of his now numerous apologizes and he has made the media rounds but to what end; he has apologized and pretending he hasn't is nonsense. 

16 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Wow, I didn't.

I may be way off, but I thought rangerx had a couple decades on me. Senile incontinence jokes are probably funnier for folks south of seventy.

But hey, you can say anything if you're just being honest, or it was just a joke, right? 

I’m pretty sure I will laugh at these kinds of jokes when Im 70+. After all, theres really no alternative at least for me.

I havent realized rangerx’s age and I’m sure he will be eternally grateful to you for bringing this up. And no, I do not think that you can say anything if you’re just being honest. 

Sory for the depart.

TBH I always assumed RangerX to be much younger than myself ( I'm 58 )

I was just reading a newspaper article about M Lauer and some radio personality that was recently fired ( forget his name ) for some indiscretion where he touched a woman's back. The article specifically mentioned that he was a Democrat. In what other nation on Earth is a person's political affiliation responsible for their inappropriate behaviour towards women ?

Why is American politics so polarized that each side tries to vilify the other with the worst human traits ?
I don't agree with Waitforufo's OP. Other than the fact that Franken disrespects women, I couldn't care less about his politics. I have an intelligent, beautiful niece, and I wouldn't want her to be groped or disrespected by a Republican or a Democrat.
Similarly, RangerX's arguments smack of " so what if a Democrat did this, look at what a Republican President did ".
And he can deny it all he wants (  or try to win the argument by down-voting me ) , but it is 'whataboutism', and polarizing and divisive politics.
( and TBH I always assumed RangerX was Canadian; yet he fits in so well with American politics )

Oh, and I instill two different drops in my eyes for my Glaucoma ( that's why Clint squints ), but was recently added a water pill to help drainage/reduce pressure. Sometimes getting into a bathroom on time isn't funny at all.

Edited by MigL
edited for humor

1 hour ago, MigL said:

TBH I always assumed RangerX to be much younger than myself ( I'm 58 )

I was just reading a newspaper article about M Lauer and some radio personality that was recently fired ( forget his name ) for some indiscretion where he touched a woman's back. The article specifically mentioned that he was a Democrat. In what other nation on Earth is a person's political affiliation responsible for their inappropriate behaviour towards women ?

Why is American politics so polarized that each side tries to vilify the other with the worst human traits ?
I don't agree with Waitforufo's OP. Other than the fact that Franken disrespects women, I couldn't care less about his politics. I have an intelligent, beautiful niece, and I wouldn't want her to be groped or disrespected by a Republican or a Democrat.
Similarly, RangerX's arguments smack of " so what if a Democrat did this, look at what a Republican President did ".
And he can deny it all he wants (  or try to win the argument by down-voting me ) , but it is 'whataboutism', and polarizing and divisive politics.
( and TBH I always assumed RangerX was Canadian; yet he fits in so well with American politics )

I don't believe this to be true. I don't recall Obama, Pelosi, Schumer, Clinton, or etc tweet blasting George Bush at 3'O clock in the morning. Don't recall President Obama calling FoxNews fake news. Actually Obama did several Bill O'Reilly interviews despite the blunt hostility he received. I understand that it is way more diplomatic to go with bothsides do this or bothsides do that but it isn't always accurate. 

53 minutes ago, MigL said:

No, there you go with the false narrative again. I admonished Al Franken and do not excuse any of his actions. And Ten Oz makes a strong point (repeatrdly) that all republicans are doing is pointing fingers at victims and liberals to mask their own wrong doings, which accusations are far more serial and egregious if not outright criminal.

Lauer doesn't escape my criticism or disdain, neither does Conyers.. I have no reason to doubt the account and issue that have come to light strike me as creepy.

I'm sure you'll insist otherwise, then insist you never insist the next breath.

Liberals have no problem distancing toxic followers or leaders then moving on. A lot of conservatives have called for the judge to back out. Three quarters of the population agree, wholeheartedly. The issue at hand are the few that remain who loaded with politically charged denials, shaming victims and lacking leadership dealing with morality issues.

If one goes, they should all go. If they all stay, that's the mess the US elected for themselves. Making America great again. #rollseyes

And FYI I didn't neg you, no less to prevail in what ever all-or-nothing game you think this is, but thanks for phony dig. It speaks volumes.

I apologise for the neg-rep accusation. It was unwarranted.

I 'distance' people who don't abide by the rules of a civil society.
I don't 'distance' labels like liberal/Democrat or Conservative/Republican.
(That's what got America to this bad situation )

I don't accuse people of false narratives, and in the next line say...
"I'm sure you'll insist otherwise, then insist you never insist in the next breath"
Stick to what I actually say, not what you think I'll say.

6 hours ago, MigL said:

I definitely take your point, and overwhelmingly agree. It’s troubling how tribal and polarized we’ve become and how our shared humanity is so often discarded and replaced by vilification. 

With that said, there are some rather remarkable differences in both approach and response that would be foolish to dismiss as mere whataboutism.

Take just this one in-context / thread-relevant example: Leader of the Democratic Party, Nancy Pelosi, a few days after allegations were made against the longest serving House Democrat, John Conyers, and more information became available:

Congressman Conyers should resign. The allegations (snip) are serious, disappointing and very credible. It's very sad. A brave woman came forward...Zero tolerance means consequences for everyone — no matter how great a legacy is no license to harass or discriminate."

...And compare that against leader of the Republican Party, President Donald Trump, a few MONTHS after allegations were made against Alabama Senate candidate and judge, Roy Moore, and more information became available:

Roy Moore denies it. That’s all I can say. He denies it. And by the way, he totally denies it.”

One of these is not like the other, and I’m not saying this to distract or deflect or protect “my side.”

See also: Republican Senator, Lindsay Graham, today:

What concerns me about the American press is this endless, endless attempt to label the guy as some kind of kook not fit to be president. It’s pretty frustrating for most Republicans, quite frankly, that it’s 24/7 attack on everything the president does or thinks. It gets a little old after a while.”

Versus that same Senator, Lindsay Graham, only about 18 short months ago:

”I think he's a kook. I think he's crazy. I think he's unfit for office. I'm a Republican, and he's not. He's not a conservative Republican, he's an opportunist. He’s not fit to be president of the United States."

My intent is not to to vilify, but to illuminate. 

Edited by iNow

But I'm not talking about the politicians.
I'm talking about members of this forum.

I've often stuck up for Waitforufo, as have you, but we both know that this thread about A Franken was started to vilify Democrats.
The fact that Franken is a Democrat has no bearing on the matter; If he did the things he admits to doing ( and has apologized for ), he is not the person most of us thought he was.
By the same token, RangerX responding " Yeah, but what about the Republicans and their President " is an attempt at equivalency, or rather one-up-manship. " Sure our guy did this, but yours did much worse ". Does he think that matters to Franken's victims/accusers, or that, the fact there's worse people than Franken, somehow make it better ?

There are plenty of threads where we can discuss what a horrible human being D Trump is. Or some other Republicans.
But this thread is about A Franken. Not the Senator. Not the Democrat. But the human being who has made, and acted on, some pretty bad decisions.

2 hours ago, MigL said:

By the same token, RangerX responding " Yeah, but what about the Republicans and their President " is an attempt at equivalency, or rather one-up-manship. " Sure our guy did this, but yours did much worse ". Does he think that matters to Franken's victims/accusers, or that, the fact there's worse people than Franken, somehow make it better ?

Stop the lies FFS. This was ONE post ago.

9 hours ago, rangerx said:

Liberals have no problem distancing toxic followers or leaders then moving on. A lot of conservatives have called for the judge to back out. Three quarters of the population agree, wholeheartedly.

So you lied about the neg AND my reason why I would do it. Then a tactless joke about my age. Then lied about my objectivity when I clearly said the opposite on the same page, then you have the audacity to admonish me as to what this thread's about. This is nuts. I'm out.

2 hours ago, rangerx said:

Stop the lies FFS. This was ONE post ago.

So you lied about the neg AND my reason why I would do it. Then a tactless joke about my age. Then lied about my objectivity when I clearly said the opposite on the same page, then you have the audacity to admonish me as to what this thread's about. This is nuts. I'm out.

You seem to be offended and I have to respect that no matter my personal views - it is most likely of no consolation but I sincerely apologize for laughing at the joke.

6 hours ago, MigL said:

But I'm not talking about the politicians.
I'm talking about members of this forum.

I've often stuck up for Waitforufo, as have you, but we both know that this thread about A Franken was started to vilify Democrats.
The fact that Franken is a Democrat has no bearing on the matter; If he did the things he admits to doing ( and has apologized for ), he is not the person most of us thought he was.

There are plenty of threads where we can discuss what a horrible human being D Trump is. Or some other Republicans.
But this thread is about A Franken. Not the Senator. Not the Democrat. But the human being who has made, and acted on, some pretty bad decisions.

It has bearing in that it's the reason this thread exists and not the groping. As for Franken not being who we thought he was; he came up as a comedian. Franken was on SNL and was tied in with the entertainment industry. What surprises me is that the accusations aren't more elaborate detailing cocaine use, wild nights is hotel suits, and etc. I personally never thought Franken was a saint. When he initially started his Political career I found it odd in the same way Jesse Ventura becoming a governor was odd. Over time Frank did seem to be competent but that doesn't change his past. 

10 hours ago, MigL said:

The fact that Franken is a Democrat has no bearing on the matter;

Agreed, on all fronts

More accusations against Franken have come. Nothing reprehensible as sleeping with teen age girls but terrible all the same. Perhaps Franken should resign. Obviously a person is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law but in the current political environment, as a party, I don't think Democrats cannot endure the Whataboutism opportunities Franken creates. In 2018 both Franken's Minnesota Senate counterpart Klobuchar seat is up and there's a gubernatorial race. Losing either or both because of Franken, who wouldn't even be on a ticket would, would be devastating. I also think it is important for progressive s to walk the walk when it comes to believing victims. 

It it turns out Franken in innocent, if that is proven somehow, he can run again in the future. 

http://wapo.st/2BIiYm6?tid=ss_mail&utm_term=.dd81c558fc5f

Seems that Franken has resigned. MigL , Ranger, I think you two talk on two different levels  to each other. Ranger uses Trump to specifically the motivation in OP, and, from my reading, is not primarily a deflection of Franken's behavior.  To some degree it is a legitimate point as OP is kind of set up to discuss this topic in partisan way (which we can pretty much acknowledge at this point).

And I think in this context it is also fair to acknowledge that the discussion surrounding sexual harassment and the reaction toward it is clearly politically polarized. Yet, at least Franken seems to be ready to step down while others accused of more serious offenses still (or again) support. One could discuss the political ramifications (this is the politics thread after all) as well as the implication for victims of harassment or even abuse.

Liberal news outlets are condemning the behavior of the liberal politicians. FoxNews and other conservative outlets are talking about how "outspoken" Judge Roy Moore is in his denials, and of course Trump is trying to pretend it wasn't even his voice talking about grabbing pussy.

It seems like the Trump Effect has taken over, and Republicans have no idea how to tell when someone is lying anymoore.

Just as clarification of my stance...

When we discussed H Weinstein, there was no mention of his political affiliation.
The man was simply a pig, just like K Spacey, Louis C K, C Rose, and so many others are.
No one gives a damn whether they are Democrats or Republicans.
Their victims certainly don't.

But Waitforufo tosses the bait, and some people take the bait, and make it a political discussion, rather than one of powerful people preying on helpless victims.

Its interesting that as a parting shot A Franken did exactly the same; he brought up D Trump, in saying "I'm resigning, yet a man who admitted assault on tape is in the White House" ( paraphrasing ), as if he feels unjustly treated. I wonder if his victims feel he is being treated unfairly ? 

19 minutes ago, MigL said:

No one gives a damn whether they are Democrats or Republicans.

Franken could run as a Republican and they'd probably take him, especially if it meant winning a seat.

Trump's a liberal turncoat pervert, why not Al? Grab Weenie when he gets out too.

Throughout my life I heard the lazy line of thinking that both parties are the same, all politicians lie, 2 heads of the same snake, and etc. For some the lazy apathetic attitude is used to mask or excuse one own lack of knowledge on the subject while for others it is a false equivalent to hide behind. For those paying attention it clearly isn't true. If a person claims to not see a stark difference between Obama and Trump they are either mentally impaired our lying. Same goes for the basic principles of the party at large. Both John Conyers and Al Franken were prominent party members Democrats can ill afford to lose yet both were asked by the party to resign. Al Franken made it clear that he isn't admitting to guilt and feels some allegations are not true but ultimately he was forced out all the same. Meanwhile on the Republican side denial reigns supreme. Neither party members or their voters at large seem to have the personal constitution to take a principled stand. Meanwhile Democrats have already done so.

8 hours ago, MigL said:

When we discussed H Weinstein, there was no mention of his political affiliation.

Not entirely true. Fairly certain we had to squash trollish comments about how he was a major democratic donor and how his actions  reflected so poorly on the “hypocritical Democratic Party” as a whole and somehow demonstrated a double standard.

Edited by iNow

And again RangerX...

Right now D Trump would take Genghis Kahn and Attila the Hun if it would help save him from the looming impeachment.

But what does that have to do with A Franken and his attitudes towards women ?

10 minutes ago, MigL said:

And again RangerX...

Right now D Trump would take Genghis Kahn and Attila the Hun if it would help save him from the looming impeachment.

But what does that have to do with A Franken and his attitudes towards women ?

The fact that he takes responsibility for his actions, while others who are accused (namely republicans) don't.