Al Franken's funniest moment

waitforufo

http://www.kabc.com/2017/11/16/leeann-tweeden-on-senator-al-franken/

leeann-airplane-pic.jpg

Someone should tell Al Franken that the first rule of sexual harassment is no photographs. He does look like he is enjoying himself. The release of this photograph does have perfect comedic timing considering the current plethora of sexual harassment news stories.  Just look at the expression on his face.    

Al is now asking for an ethics investigation on himself. A perfect punch line for the above photo.  It should be the shortest ethics investigation in Senate history.  Just show everyone on the committee the above photo and let them vote. 

38 minutes ago, iNow said:

What would the Senate be voting on?

The ethics committee not the full Senate.  

30 minutes ago, rangerx said:

Somehow I knew you drive-by troll this one with your double standard.

Breast bad, pussy good?

Got photographs?  I mean how stupid is Al.  That photo is better than the blue dress.  I wonder when that photo will be put in the Smithsonian.  

1 minute ago, waitforufo said:

The ethics committee not the full Senate.  

Got photographs?  I mean how stupid is Al.  That photo is better than the blue dress.  I wonder when that photo will be put in the Smithsonian.  

Spare us the phony outrage.

Franken behavior was inappropriate. However, by this photo it's blatantly obvious that it's a childish antic for a photo, not deviant sexual exploitation.

That's what separates him from the pervert who calls himself president or the judge who actually accosts teenagers for his jollies.

And being the OP why can't you ever answer questions, instead of deflecting with ridiculous commentary?

So I will ask you again, breast bad, pussy good?

27 minutes ago, iNow said:

What specifically are they investigating?

Ask Al.  He's the one calling for an investigation.

24 minutes ago, rangerx said:

Spare us the phony outrage.

Franken behavior was inappropriate. However, by this photo it's blatantly obvious that it's a childish antic for a photo, not deviant sexual exploitation.

That's what separates him from the pervert who calls himself president or the judge who actually accosts teenagers for his jollies.

And being the OP why can't you ever answer questions, instead of deflecting with ridiculous commentary?

So I will ask you again, breast bad, pussy good?

Who said I was outraged?  I said it was Al Franken's funnest moment.  You also need to look at the link I provided in the OP.   Leeann Tweeden also claims the Al Franken invented a skit for sole purpose of sticking his tongue down her throat.  Then sent her the above photo as further harassment.  Don't you believe her?

I have been very clear about my opinions of sexual harassment on Science Forums.  All sexual harassment is bad and the women who claim it should be believed.  Women like Waneta Broderick, Paula Jones, and Kathleen Willey.  But this topic is about Al Franken.  Poor Al thought the 80's was the Al Franken decade.  I think Al's next election isn't for four years.  Can you imagine the bill boards with the above photo on it.  Comedy gold.

40 minutes ago, waitforufo said:

Actually, McConnell suggested it as a possibility and Franken basically said, “Sure. Do it, if that’s what it takes to move forward.”

41 minutes ago, waitforufo said:

I have been very clear about my opinions of sexual harassment on Science Forums.  All sexual harassment is bad and the women who claim it should be believed.

Agreed, on both fronts

Edited by iNow

7 minutes ago, iNow said:

Actually, McConnell suggested it as a possibility and Franken basically said, “Sure. Do it, if that’s what it takes to move forward.”

You may be correct, but If you click more you will see the following from Al Franken  "I am asking that an ethics investigation be undertaken, and I will gladly cooperate."

42 minutes ago, waitforufo said:

Who said I was outraged?
I have been very clear about my opinions of sexual harassment on Science Forums.  All sexual harassment is bad and the women who claim it should be believed. Women like Waneta Broderick, Paula Jones, and Kathleen Willey.

Perhaps a hand wringing gotcha fail, like the Uranium One outrage nonsense. Then proceeded to list the victims from twenty plus years ago and completely unrelated incident, so don't preach to me about staying on topic, when you clearly divert from it at your whimsy to avoid answering pointed questions.

What Franken did is dwarfed by the accusations leveled at your president and a sexually deviant republican judge who preys on teenage impressionables. In fact, in your reply seems to relish the fact she was inappropriately treated ( as weak as it is) as a desperate attempt to draw a false equivalency to the real story  in the news cycles lately.

Epic fail.

Sadly those willing to be honest will be honest will be vilified while those without either honesty of regret with cling to plausible deniability. We must not overly persecute the truthful in order to make up for the shameless and dishonest.

1 minute ago, Ten oz said:

Sadly those willing to be honest will be honest will be vilified while those without either honesty of regret with cling to plausible deniability. We must not overly persecute the truthful in order to make up for the shameless and dishonest.

Yes, which is the issue here and the ulterior motive of the OP.

I took a closer look at the image. His hands aren't touching her breasts because you can clearly see shadows under his fingers. I seriously doubt gesturing in a sexual context near one's proximity rises to the level of sexual assault insomuch as tactless and behaving in bad taste. The kissing thing however crossed the line. To me, that sticks out more than the image does.

franken_hands.jpg

5 minutes ago, Ten oz said:

Sadly those willing to be honest will be vilified while those without either honesty or regret will cling to plausible deniability.

The trend is clear in responses to these things. Democrats self-immolate while Republicans confabulate. Sad.

2 hours ago, waitforufo said:

If you click more you will see the following from Al Franken

This part seems relevant:

I'm sorry.

I respect women. I don't respect men who don't. And the fact that my own actions have given people a good reason to doubt that makes me feel ashamed.

But I want to say something else, too. Over the last few months, all of us—including and especially men who respect women—have been forced to take a good, hard look at our own actions and think (perhaps, shamefully, for the first time) about how those actions have affected women.

For instance, that picture. I don't know what was in my head when I took that picture, and it doesn't matter. There's no excuse. I look at it now and I feel disgusted with myself. It isn't funny. It's completely inappropriate. It's obvious how Leeann would feel violated by that picture. And, what's more, I can see how millions of other women would feel violated by it—women who have had similar experiences in their own lives, women who fear having those experiences, women who look up to me, women who have counted on me.

Especially now that his accuser, a radio host for Fox News, has accepted his apology. She said people make mistakes and she has no interest in pursuing an ethics investigation or asking him to step down from the senate:

http://time.com/5028172/leeann-tweeden-al-franken-apology/

She told reporters the following: “The apology — sure, I accept it. People make mistakes and of course he knew he made a mistake, and so yes, I do accept that apology. The ethics investigation — if that’s what Mitch McConnell wants to do, that’s on them. I’m not calling for that… I’m not demanding for any of that.”

Edited by iNow

2 hours ago, rangerx said:

I took a closer look at the image. His hands aren't touching her breasts because you can clearly see shadows under his fingers. I seriously doubt gesturing in a sexual context near one's proximity rises to the level of sexual assault insomuch as tactless and behaving in bad taste. The kissing thing however crossed the line. To me, that sticks out more than the image does.

It could be considered sexual harassment and as Franken said, it really does not matter that much, as it is about how the victim felt about it. That being said, the main difference at this point between Franken and Trump, Moore and Wiener  is that the latter have shown a behavioral pattern, combined with little remorse.

43 minutes ago, iNow said:

This part seems relevant:

Especially now that his accuser, a radio host for Fox News, has accepted his apology. She said people make mistakes and she has no interest in pursuing an ethics investigation or asking him to step down from the senate:

http://time.com/5028172/leeann-tweeden-al-franken-apology/

Her story is very compelling. I watched her interview on CNN and she seems genuine and reasonable. One thing she mentioned that struck me was her admission that she garnered a lot of strength to come forward from other accusers coming forward in recent times.

Here's the thing though. This girl has earned some closure to something that's obviously haunted her for a long time. In a day or two it will be a non-issue. That's more than I can say for Trump or Moore, who egregiously continue to demonize accusers, cry "fake news" and iterate nonsensical or politically charged bullshit to no end.

4 minutes ago, CharonY said:

It could be considered sexual harassment and as Franken said, it really does not matter that much, as it is about how the victim felt about it. That being said, the main difference at this point between Franken and Trump, Moore and Wiener  is that the latter have shown a behavioral pattern, combined with little remorse.

Yes. A pattern of harassment can be inferred, especially if you put her backstage account together with the antics in the photograph. And yes it really doesn't matter that much because because she was offend by those actions. It goes to show that people can be deeply affected by even relatively minor incidents involving one's sexuality, especially in the workplace. I shudder to think of the darkness that looms over those who've been persisted upon in more aggressive or pernicious ways.  This is what irks me about that horrid excuse for a president, who advocates "just start kissing them" or "grab them by the pussy" and general lecherous or adulterous behavior while on the job then using the lame excuse that it's just locker room talk and publicly demonizing victims further. Trump was on contract, riding a bus chartered by ABC between two studios. On the bus were producers, hosts, audio and video crews, a driver, makeup artists and likely a few production assistants. He was miked up and made up while  speaking to a producer in an inappropriate manner. Anyone suggesting that's locker room talk and little else needs their head examined.

Then of course there's Moore's  asinine "Mary and Joseph" analogy explanation for accosting young girls. If that's the standard America has for it's judges, it isn't and never will be great again.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/wp/2017/11/10/jesus-mary-and-joseph-the-roy-moore-story/

11 hours ago, waitforufo said:

!

Moderator Note

But you're the one who claimed "It should be the shortest ethics investigation in Senate history." And "Just show everyone on the committee the above photo and let them vote." 

So answer iNow's question.  

What Franken did was wrong. He admitted it and isn't making any excuses. I think it is important not to apathetically treat every situation of a famous person being outed for bad behavior as equal. Unlike others (Weinstein, Moore, C.K., Stallone, Trump, etc) Franken isn't being accused of Rape, molestation, public masterbation, or etc. What Franken did was a misdemeanor at most and not felon behavior. Neither the picture or the kiss would send someone to prison. The behavior is bad and women are too often objectified in society but we shouldn't lower the bar at the  top end for those perpetrating heinous criminal acts by pretend all bad acts however large or small are the same. 

11 minutes ago, Ten oz said:

Franken isn't being accused of Rape, molestation, public masterbation, or etc. What Franken did was a misdemeanor at most and not felon behavior.

IDK maybe the kiss should. Franken was wrong period. All this "we are not quite as bad as you are" is pathetic. Good for Franken he is owning his mistake and seems willing to pay the consequences. None of which changes the fact that he used his power and influence to take what he wanted. Just like Trump I hope he gets what he deserves. 

I hope (I doubt it) I live long enough to see wrong treated as wrong regardless of political affiliation. I hope I live long enough to see people choose good instead of not quite as bad.

15 hours ago, iNow said:

What specifically are they investigating?

Ethics violations of course.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/11/16/leading-senate-democrats-call-for-ethics-investigation-into-al-franken/

Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) faced swift condemnation and bipartisan calls for an ethics investigation on Thursday after a Los Angeles radio broadcaster accused him of forcibly kissing and groping herin 2006.

14 minutes ago, Outrider said:

IDK maybe the kiss should. Franken was wrong period. All this "we are not quite as bad as you are" is pathetic. Good for Franken he is owning his mistake and seems willing to pay the consequences. None of which changes the fact that he used his power and influence to take what he wanted. Just like Trump I hope he gets what he deserves. 

What Franken did was wrong. I didn't say otherwise. This is similar to what we saw all through the 2016 Election cycle; Clinton's email use was wrong and somehow that made her wrongs and Trump's wrong a wash. I think it is important not to do that. What Weinstein did is multitudes worse than what Franken did. Being able to identify that shouldn't be an apoligist position. 

4 hours ago, swansont said:
!

Moderator Note

But you're the one who claimed "It should be the shortest ethics investigation in Senate history." And "Just show everyone on the committee the above photo and let them vote." 

So answer iNow's question.  

iNow, What will the ethics committee investigate at the request of Al Franken?  I'm not sure.  I think it has something to do with  the following story and photograph.

http://www.kabc.com/2017/11/16/leeann-tweeden-on-senator-al-franken/

leeann-airplane-pic.jpg

My guess is sexual harassment.  

14 hours ago, rangerx said:

franken_hands.jpg

I'm surprised anyone would think Al's hovering fingers somehow make this better.  Yes they were hovering at the moment of the snap.  What about before or after?  Even if there was no contact Al thought it was appropriate to sexually objectify a woman while she was sleeping knowing that those photographs would be shared with the USO team after their tour.  Down right creepy if you ask me.  How would you feel if this was done to you or someone you love?  

3 minutes ago, CharonY said:

Actually, the worse thing is arguably the forced kiss, even if it is less instagrammy. But if we are at it, there was hearing where house lawmakers described pervasive  sexual harassment. Again, it shows how pervasive it is at any workplace.

Here is what LeeAnn Tweeden  has to say about the photograph.

'So at the end when I got that picture, it was like the final parting shot of the, "Ha, ha, she's going to see this when she gets home" that I couldn't, you know, see him face-to-face to confront him.'

'It was like, "She's going to see that!" and sort of, that was like his parting shot of the, you know, kind of, "In your face! I got you one last time".'  

Most people are just hearing about the forced kiss and then the picture at the end,' Tweeden said, 'but it was – you know, it was the humiliation through the two weeks of the tour that people don't hear about.' 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5092825/Al-Franken-accuser-Grope-photo-face-insult.html