The Wonders of the Electron - Photon and Quantum Phenomenon .

Mike Smith Cosmos

In their Book " Life on the Edge " , 

Jim  Al-Khalili and Johnjoe  McFadden , show how now ELECTRONS  & PHOTONS , together with QUANTUM  Phenomenon , need to be included ,if we are to make headway in our understanding of LIVING THINGS , both in living green plants and indeed in ...... HUMANS  and ANIMALS .

Mike 

ref ...   ' LIFE on the EDGE ' , 

'The coming of Age of Quantum Biology '

Jim Al-Khalili and John McFadden 

ISBN 978-0-552-77807-7 

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos

4 minutes ago, Mike Smith Cosmos said:

In their Book " Life on the Edge " , 

Jim  Al-Khalili and Johnjoe  McFadden , show how now ELECTRONS  & PHOTONS , together with QUANTUM  Phenomenon , need to be included ,if we are to make headway in our understanding of LIVING THINGS , both in living green plants and indeed in ...... HUMANS  and ANIMALS .

Mike 

ref . 

You have provided no reference for what I asked except the title of the book. Plus you confused me more with your second  statement "ELECTRONS  & PHOTONS , together with QUANTUM  Phenomenon , need to be included"  included in what?

I'm not sure what you are trying to imply here. Electrons are fermions, they have mass, photons are bosons with zero rest mass. They are totally different particles.

Also the authors of this book, like me, have close to 0 understanding of Quantum Mechanics. (read some parts that I could find without buying this "best seller")

Overall, the book intends to present the idea of quantum biology as a new field of study that will revolutionize our idea of life and evolution. 

Good luck... Plus this book is about biology crackpot not physics crackpot so don't say "Physicists see electrons as a Photon of Energy" after reading biology crackpot.

28 minutes ago, Silvestru said:

citation needed. I'm pretty sure that the electron is not a "photon of energy".

Photon already carries energy.   E={\frac  {hc}{\lambda }}

Well,  I am pretty sure , that near  the " First Cause of Matter " , was ENERGY , at the beginning of the Universe . 

Also that very early on in the Expansion of the Universe were

PROTONS,   ELECTRONS , and a plasma of PHOTONS. 

Quotation :- CERN 

https://home.cern/about/physics/early-universe

mike 

Everything (electron, positron, photon, proton, neutron, neutrino, antineutrino) is tiny bit needed..

f.e. without neutrons atoms would have different mass, different recoil effect, different melting/boiling points,

with significant absence of neutrons, atoms would be extremely radioactive, and decaying via positron emission (aka beta decay plus).

Positrons play significant role in the first stage of fusion in stars. Neutrinos take a bit of energy from stars, and influencing their life cycle, and temperature.

Edited by Sensei

9 minutes ago, Mike Smith Cosmos said:

" First Cause of Matter " , was ENERGY , at the beginning of the Universe . 

Where do you get this stuff? Can I please see a source?

11 minutes ago, Mike Smith Cosmos said:

Also that very early on in the Expansion of the Universe were

PROTONS,   ELECTRONS , and a plasma of PHOTONS. 

Haha so Neutrons were late at the party? If you are talking about the earliest stages, Quarks couldn't form protons and neutrons. But what does any of that have to do with the statement:
"Physicists see electrons as a Photon of Energy"?  Can you please elaborate. 

34 minutes ago, Sensei said:

Everything (electron, positron, photon, proton, neutron, neutrino, antineutrino) is tiny bit needed..

f.e. without neutrons atoms would have different mass, different recoil effect, different melting/boiling points,

with significant absence of neutrons, atoms would be extremely radioactive, and decaying via positron emission (aka beta decay plus).

Positrons play significant role in the first stage of fusion in stars. Neutrinos take a bit of energy from them.

Yes, I am probably painting too simple a picture of the early universe. 

With all the recent development of ideas with sub atomic particle , Higgs Bosons etc , it is not as easy the THINK  of the Early Universe any more . 

I was trying to paint the picture of the Early Universe up to 300,000 years , where the recombination event drew in electrons to the protons to form Hydrogen Atoms and a great escape of Photons ( light ) post-33514-0-57950000-1364509371_thumb.jpg . 

Mike 

https://home.cern/about/physics/early-universe

!

Moderator Note

There is no news article cited, so this shouldn't be in science news.

Mike, I see no reason for yet another thread where you pontificate on matters where you have little understanding and are mangling what others have written. If you have questions, you are free to ask them. If you have some alternate theory of physics that meets the level of discussion for speculations, post there. But this? No. Not going to happen.