searching for 1910

thomas reid

I've heard it said that Einstein first mentioned "light clocks" or first mentioned the dynamic that would lead to "light clocks" in his 1910 paper.  (Sorry, I forgot where I heard that.  But I believe I've heard that multiple times.  Anyway ...)

I've wanted to see if for myself and so I've gone looking for this 1910 paper, assuming that a paper this famous and this old would surely be in PDF format (and in English) on the internet.  But I can't find it.

In Wikipedia's list of Einstein publications (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scientific_publications_by_Albert_Einstein), there are 6 publications listed for 1910.  One of them is listed as dealing with Special Relativity directly (and so I assume this is the paper I'm looking for).   It is listed as " Archives des sciences physiques et naturelles (ser. 4), 29, 5–28, 125–244 "

I found a PDF of the original french journal.  But I can't find it in English.

Does anyone know of an English PDF version of this paper out there on the webs?

Thank you.

(According to the same Wikipedia page, this paper was translated.  And it was translated by " E. Guillaume ")

Hi, my googlefu found this:

Doc. 2 The Principle of Relativity and Its Consequences in Modern Physics 117 -  http://einsteinpapers.press.princeton.edu/vol3-trans/131

from here: Volume 3: The Swiss Years: Writings 1909-1911 (English translation supplement) - http://einsteinpapers.press.princeton.edu/vol3-trans/

Translated by Anna Beck

Hope it helps.

Awesome!

The first link is exactly what I've been looking for.  (And thank you for the rounding out my knowledge of the available internet resources with the second link!)

I would have up voted your last post twice but it only let me do it once.

Thank you.

[Opps.  I keep forgetting my old account on Science Forums and then sing up for a new one, but then I forget that my browser might remember my old account and so I sign in with my old account after I've started a question under my new account.  And ... yes, yes, yes ... I know Science Forums does not allow multiple accounts to prevent "sock puppetry" and so I know I'm not allowed to have multiple accounts.  Please delete "Thales et al"  I no longer have that email account and I don't remember the password of that account for this forum (even if my browser does remember it).  Sorry for breaking the rules.]

The pleasure was all mine. If would care to share your notes on what you were looking for, I would appreciate it. I cannot fully comprehend the subject because of lack of deeper mathematical background, but an anecdote or two regarding the subject I would enjoy. 

Edited by tuco